DJ Stewart

WarehouseChatter

Stewart is a guy who could be a big piece of our rebuild.  He’s not going to hit for average, but he can launch the ball and get on base at a good clip.  I’ve always seen him as a Kyle Schwarber type player.  They’re the exact same size (height and weight) and have similar batting tendencies.  

Excited to see what he can do in a full year with the team.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve always had a soft spot for hitters with a good batting eye.   I was looking at Brady’s stats the other day — his career BA was a pedestrian .256 but his OBP was .362.      Seth Smith is another guy, .261 BA but .344 OBP.    I think Stewart will be something like that.     Schwarber has a lot more power than Stewart but DJ has a better hit tool, I think.   

It looks to me like Stewart gets his chance to be regular this coming season.   First in right field as Mancini stays in left because Davis/Trumbo are at 1B/DH.   Then when and if Trumbo is traded in July, Stewart switches to left making room for Hays in right.

Stewart's ability to stay a regular with the O's depends a lot on the success of Hays and Diaz. Those two offer  more mobility in the outfield and hopefully better offense.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

It looks to me like Stewart gets his chance to be regular this coming season.   First in right field as Mancini stays in left because Davis/Trumbo are at 1B/DH.   Then when and if Trumbo is traded in July, Stewart switches to left making room for Hays in right.

Stewart's ability to stay a regular with the O's depends a lot on the success of Hays and Diaz. Those two offer  more mobility in the outfield and hopefully better offense.

I don't want to see Mancini in RF on any regular basis. The coming season is about evaluating talent and planning for the future, and putting Mancini in the OF doesn't advance either of those goals, while playing him regularly at 1B does, IMO.

If that means benching Davis, or putting him or Trumbo in RF more than would otherwise be desirable so that Trumbo gets enough ABs to make him potentially tradeable, that's OK with me. 

41 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't want to see Mancini in RF on any regular basis. The coming season is about evaluating talent and planning for the future, and putting Mancini in the OF doesn't advance either of those goals, while playing him regularly at 1B does, IMO.

If that means benching Davis, or putting him or Trumbo in RF more than would otherwise be desirable so that Trumbo gets enough ABs to make him potentially tradeable, that's OK with me. 

Fully agree with this. We have to find out if Trey can be above replacement as a first baseman. 

40 minutes ago, joelala said:

Fully agree with this. We have to find out if Trey can be above replacement as a first baseman. 

As long as Davis and Trumbo are still on the team, I think Mancini will remain in the outfield IMO. Mancini may be switched to 1B in July if Trumbo is traded.

I would not be surprised to see Mountcastle playing 1B at Norfolk for all of 2019 with an eye on him as a 1B/DH  player for the O's in 2020.    If that happens Mancini may be traded next off season for prospects.

32 minutes ago, MMussina35 said:

How many former NASA engineers will it take to realize that Mancini in the outfield is about as much negative value you can find not named Chris Davis? 

Yes. This. He will never play outfield again as an Oriole.

Archived