Waste of International Bounty. New GM. Discuss.

Can_of_corn

Color me shocked that Mike "Total Control" Elias is now trading International slot money.

We all know the best way to build up a strong farm system and International presence is to not spend money on International players.

Does anyone think that Elias had permission to spend this money on International players but decided instead to do this?

One more question, if the O's return him do the Phillies or the O's get the 50K?  Because if it's the O's this deal makes more sense.  50K is a lot of money.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Color me shocked that Mike "Total Control" Elias is now trading International slot money.

We all know the best way to build up a strong farm system and International presence is to not spend money on International players.

Does anyone think that Elias had permission to spend this money on International players but decided instead to do this?

One more question, if the O's return him do the Phillies or the O's get the 50K?  Because if it's the O's this deal makes more sense.  50K is a lot of money.

Hilariously predictable response. The guy doesn't have an international scouting team yet. He slung a few bucks for a young SS with upside. I see absolutely no problem here. This is not Duquette trading internat'l money for an aging SP. The Orioles have like $6 million in international money and absolutely no way of spending it all after missing on the big 3.

Just now, interloper said:

Hilariously predictable response. The guy doesn't have an international scouting team yet. He slung a few bucks for a young SS with upside. I see absolutely no problem here. This is not Duquette trading internat'l money for an aging SP. 

Agreed with this. The big dollar, top of the line international free agents are already signed up. He has no scouting department. He likely has no confidence in the shell of an operation the O's had in place and looking at a pile of international spending money and nowhere to spend it. May as well get a potential cheap utility infielder for the next few years. 

Hilariously predictable response. The guy doesn't have an international scouting team yet. He slung a few bucks for a young SS with upside. I see absolutely no problem here. This is not Duquette trading internat'l money for an aging SP. 

Of course it's predictable, the whole thing is predictable.

Would Elias have been in favor of trading away International slot money when he was with the Cards or the Astros?

I have no problem at all with the actual move, it's smart to trade away something that has no value to you for something that does have value to you.

I just think it is another indication that he doesn't have as much freedom to act as we would like.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would Elias have been in favor of trading away International slot money when he was with the Cards or the Astros?

I have no problem at all with the actual move, it's smart to trade away something that has no value to you for something that does have value to you.

I just think it is another indication that he doesn't have as much freedom to act as we would like.

It has no value because the players that are left to sign will be a few hundred K here or there, not because he's "not allowed to spend it". Please.  It's FAR too early to say "same old Orioles" based on this single data point. You of all people should know that.

Yes. They get 50k cold hard cash. And beg to disagree again, this is in no way an indication of Elias ability to do what he wants with the baseball ops part of the club. That was a very disingenuous snark there. There is no one left to spend Dan's goodbye money on. In fact, this may be the Phillies additional compensation for your favorite Gulf League first baseman. 

Good point. Let's pack 'em up and ship off the team. Heard Montreal might be looking for another franchise. 

Elias made a minor move that you admit yourself you have no problem with and was actually smart. You said it was a good move. Then say it proves he doesn't have control. So if he had control... he would've made a dumb move? 

Talk to me in a year about the international market when, you know, Elias has a field manager and a scouting team and an analytics department and an international team that he trusts and people down in the DR that are on the same page and can field a major league roster. 

Ridiculous assumption based on absolutely nothing. It's indicative of absolutely nothing. 

1 minute ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Good point. Let's pack 'em up and ship off the team. Heard Montreal might be looking for another franchise. 

Elias made a minor move that you admit yourself you have no problem with and was actually smart. You said it was a good move. Then say it proves he doesn't have control. So if he had control... he would've made a dumb move? 

Just because move A is smart doesn't mean move B wouldn't have been even better.

In this case it is smart to trade slot money that ownership won't let you spend.  It is smarter yet to do like the other 29 teams and actually spend the slot money.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Talk to me in a year about the international market when, you know, Elias has a field manager and a scouting team and an analytics department and an international team that he trusts and people down in the DR that are on the same page and can field a major league roster. 

Ridiculous assumption based on absolutely nothing. It's indicative of absolutely nothing. 

It is based on prior behavior of ownership, to include actions taken under the Brothers Angelos.

Just because move A is smart doesn't mean move B wouldn't have been even better.

In this case it is smart to trade slot money that ownership won't let you spend.  It is smarter yet to do like the other 29 teams and actually spend the slot money.

An assumption based on nothing at all. But it feels good to say.

It is based on prior behavior of ownership, to include actions taken under the Brothers Angelos.

Nope. Full on false.  Under Duquette's regime while overseen by the Brothers. You have no data on this. rant. 

But this particular transaction CANNOT tell you anything about that! Even if you're right, you won't have been proven right by this transaction. 

I know I'm up on this hill by myself.

I unfortunately expect a lot of company in the coming months.

And yes, this is all my take on what has happened and yes none of us know the actual details.

Just now, weams said:

Nope. Full on false.  Under Duquette's regime while overseen by the Brothers. You have no data on this. rant. 

Data point alpha: Jack Zoellner.

Data point beta:  Roch reporting that the O's offer for VVM was not competitive with the Marlins' offer. (post Dan obviously)

Archived