Waste of International Bounty. New GM. Discuss.

Can_of_corn

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, wildbillhiccup said:

The problem is the plan wasn't well thought out or executed. They should have known whether or not they had a shot at the Mesa brothers before they put the plan in place. It was pretty clear that someone didn't do their homework. Either Dan or Brady. 

I think the plan was good until the Marlins started acquiring additional ISM money to match the Orioles.  Until then, the Orioles had a huge advantage to sign the Mesa's since no other team could come close to matching what they could offer.  Once the ISM money became similar, the Mesa's preference for South Florida clinched the deal for the Marlins. 

Clearly with Gaston, the Orioles could have had him since no other team could come close to matching what they could offer.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And even if you have the most slot room available doesn't mean its the right move to spend it. Why give Gaston $5M if you don't think he has a reasonable shot at being a productive major league player. These 16 year old kids miss all the time. Maybe the O's valued the Mesa's and Gaston and X amount of dollars...and when their price tags increased due to a bidding war, they decided no to participate.

Bill Gates has the ability to out bid pretty much every one at every auction.....but that doesn't mean he will, or should buy everything regardless of the price.  

14 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

And even if you have the most slot room available doesn't mean its the right move to spend it. Why give Gaston $5M if you don't think he has a reasonable shot at being a productive major league player. These 16 year old kids miss all the time. Maybe the O's valued the Mesa's and Gaston and X amount of dollars...and when their price tags increased due to a bidding war, they decided no to participate.

Bill Gates has the ability to out bid pretty much every one at every auction.....but that doesn't mean he will, or should buy everything regardless of the price.  

Some people's agenda is to have the Angelos family spend all their money on the Orioles.  If I were not a reasonable adult, I'd be on that path myself. 

4 hours ago, osfan83 said:

Gaston got  $2.9 mil from the Rays, O's offered $2.1 mil.  I guess the question is does offering between $3 mil and $3.5 mil get the deal done and is it possibly worth the positive PR it would have generated, in addition to help offset the trade of Gausman.  

On 12/13/2018 at 5:07 PM, weams said:

I know that you were not just insanely going OldFan. You usually have a motive. 

The fact that weams was putting up a battle, in this thread, for this long, speaks to ...... ..... .....something. My guess — anxiety over the upcoming Cheeze-It bowl between TCU and Cal. On some level, aren’t all bowls, Cheeze-It bowls? I know that’s been my experience.

16 hours ago, Chromehill said:

I think the plan was good until the Marlins started acquiring additional ISM money to match the Orioles.  Until then, the Orioles had a huge advantage to sign the Mesa's since no other team could come close to matching what they could offer.  Once the ISM money became similar, the Mesa's preference for South Florida clinched the deal for the Marlins. 

Clearly with Gaston, the Orioles could have had him since no other team could come close to matching what they could offer.

Results are what matter, it was an awful plan to trade Gausman for the opportunity to participate in an auction we weren’t committed to winning. 

47 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Results are what matter, it was an awful plan to trade Gausman for the opportunity to participate in an auction we weren’t committed to winning. 

Or to save money as well. Or because Dan was committed. But got axed.

2 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Your assumption is that the slots were the biggest element of that trade, not the players returned or the cash saved.    I don’t assume that.    I agree I’d rather have had an additional young player, or a better player, instead of slots we weren’t committed to use.    Whether we could have gotten that from the Braves, I don’t know.   The slots may have just been a throw-in, since the Braves couldn’t use them.   

From Fangraphs today:

[Texas’ acquisition of $750,000 in slots this week] inspired me and colleague Kiley McDaniel to ask around baseball if there is a player who is either eligible  to sign right now or who teams speculate will be eligible to sign before this IFA period ends in June.    The consensus is that there is not, and it’s more likely that Texas will spread this bonus money out around several $100,000 - $300,000 talents over the next couple of months.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-three-team-profar-exchange/

I wonder if Elias has anything going on behind the scenes with regard to spending our remaining slots, which remain abundant despite the slots we shipped off to the Phillies.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From Fangraphs today:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-three-team-profar-exchange/

I wonder if Elias has anything going on behind the scenes with regard to spending our remaining slots, which remain abundant despite the slots we shipped off to the Phillies.

Do we know that?  Has a figure been released?

Archived