Waste of International Bounty. New GM. Discuss.

Can_of_corn

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do we know that?  Has a figure been released?

Do we know what, that the O’s have abundant funds?    Sure we do.    They had over $5 mm before the Rule 5 move, and couldn’t have spent that much on that deal.     

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Do we know what, that the O’s have abundant funds?    Sure we do.    They had over $5 mm before the Rule 5 move, and couldn’t have spent that much on that deal.     

Weams and I did the math.  If Zoellner was worth 500k than the rule V guy had to be worth 50 times that.

I'd rather know how much they spent.

13 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It doesn't matter if a player is 6'8" if he can't hit the ball.

This poor guy Zoellner.   When has a 23-year old from the GCL ever gotten this much scrutiny and negative commentary?   It’s like it’s his fault that he was traded for slots.   

I, for one, would love it if he shocked everybody and actually proved himself to be a viable prospect.   I’ll be rooting for the kid.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This poor guy Zoellner.   When has a 23-year old from the GCL ever gotten this much scrutiny and negative commentary?   It’s like it’s his fault that he was traded for slots.   

I, for one, would love it if he shocked everybody and actually proved himself to be a viable prospect.   I’ll be rooting for the kid.  

You have to admit he doesn't have a large peer group, 23 year olds in the GCL are in short supply.

He might be older than some of his coaches.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hear hear!  No negativity from me - hey I believed in and rooted for Matt (sic) Hopgood!  When I was looking at Zoellner's Twitter account, it made me want him to succeed even more.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You have to admit he doesn't have a large peer group, 23 year olds in the GCL are in short supply.

He might be older than some of his coaches.

Look, I’m not optimistic here.   But I feel like people are rooting for him to fall on his face just so they can say “see, I was right, Duquette’s trade was moronic.”   I’d rather root for the guy to outkick his coverage and have it be a highly debatable move that kind’ve worked out.   To be clear, I think a “good” outcome here would be somewhere between Aderlin Rodriguez and Joe Mahoney.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Look, I’m not optimistic here.   But I feel like people are rooting for him to fall on his face just so they can say “see, I was right, Duquette’s trade was moronic.”   I’d rather root for the guy to outkick his coverage and have it be a highly debatable move that kind’ve worked out.   To be clear, I think a “good” outcome here would be somewhere between Aderlin Rodriguez and Joe Mahoney.   

I'm not rooting against the kid but he's funny to bring up because it was such an inexplicable move. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not rooting against the kid but he's funny to bring up because it was such an inexplicable move. 

It’s inexplicable because there’s no obvious reason why Duquette would think he could turn into something.   So I’m hoping there’s some non-obvious reason that will manifest itself when we see how he plays.   

By the same token, Elias & co. don’t need to justify this move by keeping him in the organization, if they don’t find the mysterious hidden qualities that Duquette & co. believed they saw.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s inexplicable because there’s no obvious reason why Duquette would think he could turn into something.   So I’m hoping there’s some non-obvious reason that will manifest itself when we see how he plays.   

By the same token, Elias & co. don’t need to justify this move by keeping him in the organization, if they don’t find the mysterious hidden qualities that Duquette & co. believed they saw.

Or Zoellner was just an excuse to send the Phillies the slot money.  Even if Duquette saw something in Zoellner it doesn't make sense for him to send 500K instead of 250K.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or Zoellner was just an excuse to send the Phillies the slot money.  Even if Duquette saw something in Zoellner it doesn't make sense for him to send 500K instead of 250K.

Or perhaps DD made the trade as a signal that he'd been told either from the players' side or from ownership that signing any of the three Cubans wasn't going to happen.  The writing may have been on the wall for him and he knew he was out, so this trade kind of signaled that without really hurting the team, since there weren't any international free agents eligible for this signing period left on which to spend the large amount of slot money the Orioles had accumulated.  Who knows?  In any case, it surely wasn't Zoellner's fault.

The new agreement between Cuban Baseball and MLB may open up the possibility of additional players being available in this signing period.  If so, this trade and the Jackson trade that happen one or two days before the news of the agreement came out could have more significance.  Insider trading on MacPhail's part, perhaps?

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How much slot money did we part with for the second Rule 5 pick this year?

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would Duquette need an excuse to send slot money to Philly?

Archived