Waste of International Bounty. New GM. Discuss.

Can_of_corn

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Data point alpha: Jack Zoellner.

Data point beta:  Roch reporting that the O's offer for VVM was not competitive with the Marlins' offer. (post Dan obviously)

Jack. Duquette. 

VVM: Duquette. 

You are slapping "total control" Elias. 

With faulty facts.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, weams said:

Yes. They get 50k cold hard cash. And beg to disagree again, this is in no way an indication of Elias ability to do what he wants with the baseball ops part of the club. That was a very disingenuous snark there. There is no one left to spend Dan's goodbye money on. In fact, this may be the Phillies additional compensation for your favorite Gulf League first baseman. 

You are just worried that I'm right again.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just because move A is smart doesn't mean move B wouldn't have been even better.

In this case it is smart to trade slot money that ownership won't let you spend.  It is smarter yet to do like the other 29 teams and actually spend the slot money.

I think that there is equally good chance that Elias and Sig dispose of Jack as he ever makes a dent in Baltimore. 

Just now, weams said:

Good point. Saving it in case some Mexican becomes available I guess. 

I wasn't trying to be snarky (and your answer was not a snarky reply), but I am curious what they are going to do with it. I've noticed that "a lot" of international pool money trades have been made over the past year. More than I realized, for sure. In several cases the trades smell like total funny money trades...the old "player to be named later" trades where one team basically gives a player to another team. I think in some cases teams are swapping a player for slot money that neither team really intends to use. That said, I think Can's not crazy for being pessimistic. I'm personally optimistic, but the truth won't be in the pudding until 2019-2020 signing period starts. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

I wasn't trying to be snarky (and your answer was not a snarky reply), but I am curious what they are going to do with it. I've noticed that "a lot" of international pool money trades have been made over the past year. More than I realized, for sure. In several cases the trades smell like total funny money trades...the old "player to be named later" trades where one team basically gives a player to another team. I think in some cases teams are swapping a player for slot money that neither team really intends to use. That said, I think Can's not crazy for being pessimistic. I'm personally optimistic, but the truth won't be in the pudding until 2019-2020 signing period starts. 

I would hope no one thinks I'm crazy.

At least over this.

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Color me shocked that Mike "Total Control" Elias is now trading International slot money.

We all know the best way to build up a strong farm system and International presence is to not spend money on International players.

Does anyone think that Elias had permission to spend this money on International players but decided instead to do this?

One more question, if the O's return him do the Phillies or the O's get the 50K?  Because if it's the O's this deal makes more sense.  50K is a lot of money.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is money for the July 2, 2017 - July 1, 2019 cycle, correct?   And like 98% of the good eligible players from that cycle are already signed?   The last administration waited too long to spend their money, so Elias is making what use he can of it.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is money for the July 2, 2017 - July 1, 2019 cycle, correct?   And like 98% of the good eligible players from that cycle are already signed?   The last administration waited too long to spend their money, so Elias is making what use he can of it.   

Phillies sure think they can spend some.

Sorry, until I see proof to the contrary I'm going to believe that ownership has capped International spending.  It explains Zoellner, it explains the low ball VVM offer and it explains Elias trading away slot money.  We had three different folks in charge and the constant was ownership.

4 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

This is the 2nd time the Phillies asked for more money.  So while we may not make it through 6 mill, clearly at least they see some guys still out there.

It would make sense that it's not priority 1 with a manager needed, winter meetings happening, I'd like to think we'll still spend some of it on actual international players.

I sure hope so if there is someone that Elias or Sig think are good. Then again, I think that the Orioles will spend little money on players and little organizationally too. I think the Elias and Sig got the lion's share of what there is. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Phillies sure think they can spend some.

Sorry, until I see proof to the contrary I'm going to believe that ownership has capped International spending.  It explains Zoellner, it explains the low ball VVM offer and it explains Elias trading away slot money.  We had three different folks in charge and the constant was ownership.

Again, not a case. You are trying to prove a negative with scatter. 

Archived