Former Oriole Nelson Cruz Twins agree

Roll Tide

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

203 HR over the past 5 seasons.  

Very low risk in a one-year contract.  

I can't believe all other AL teams with playoff aspirations--and an open DH role--didn't match $14.3 mil.

Or was it that roaring Dominican population in Minneapolis?

Just now, Catch 8 said:

203 HR over the past 5 seasons.  

Very low risk in a one-year contract.  

I can't believe all other AL teams with playoff aspirations--and an open DH role--didn't match $14.3 mil.

Or was it that roaring Dominican population in Minneapolis?

They had Schoop recruit him.  (I have no evidence to support this claim)

• 7 months later...

Just because I was reminded by his recent second 3 HR game of perhaps the one time being right about something...i.e. about resigning Nelson Cruz in the winter of 2014 after we came so close to a title...he has only accumulated 20.3 WAR in the not yet 5 seasons since then including 3.3 to date this year.  

And maybe no Davis or Trumbo...

https://youtu.be/EM-J3Mw2v8o

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Just because I was reminded by his recent second 3 HR game of perhaps the one time being right about something...i.e. about resigning Nelson Cruz in the winter of 2014 after we came so close to a title...he has only accumulated 20.3 WAR in the not yet 5 seasons since then including 3.3 to date this year.  

Not signing him after 2014 is a separate issue from not signing him after last year.  Or are you suggesting the O's should have signed him to a five year contract?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not signing him after 2014 is a separate issue from not signing him after last year.  Or are you suggesting the O's should have signed him to a five year contract?

No...at the time I argued long and hard on this board for giving him the four year deal and for Nick too.  I would probably have recommended flipping him for prospects last year.  I know, i know all the past arguments and not seeking to rehash them...just that as it turns out, I was right.  For once. 

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I don't think anybody should have issues with the decision not to re-sign Cruz. It's usually a bad decision to sign aging sluggers with no defensive value to multi-year contracts. Most of those type of players turn out to be like Davis and Trumbo. Cruz was just one of the very few exceptions who was able to maintain their production into their late 30s and live up to their contract. 

Just now, TINSTAAPP said:

I don't think anybody should have issues with the decision not to re-sign Cruz. It's usually a bad decision to sign aging sluggers with no defensive value to multi-year contracts. Most of those type of players turn out to be like Davis and Trumbo. Cruz was just one of the very few exceptions who was able to maintain their production into their late 30s and live up to their contract. Doesn't make it a bad decision.

I was right.  Just admit it.  

I said then that he would more likely be like David Ortiz and he has been like David Ortiz.  Anyone who could not see that guys like Cruz and Ortiz are professional hitters, dedicated to their craft as pure hitters, are actually not at all like Davis and Trumbo and Ryan Howard has little business signing guys to hundreds of millions of dollars. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

I was right.  Just admit it.  

I said then that he would more likely be like David Ortiz and he has been like David Ortiz.  Anyone who could not see that guys like Cruz and Ortiz are professional hitters, dedicated to their craft as pure hitters, are actually not at all like Davis and Trumbo and Ryan Howard has little business signing guys to hundreds of millions of dollars. 

Is professional hitter an euphemism for PED user?

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Evidence?  And if someone is a clean tested guy over the last 5 years who accumulates 20 WAR, then yes, I am pretty much ok with that. 

Cruz and Ortiz both tested positive.  Are you asking me to bring up links showing that?

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cruz and Ortiz both tested positive.  Are you asking me to bring up links showing that?

Old news. Did you have a problem with Nelson helping in taking us to the division title in 2014?

Has he tested positive or been suspended in the last 5 years?  You think they don’t test guys anymore? 

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Old news. Did you have a problem with Nelson helping in taking us to the division title in 2014?

Has he tested positive or been suspended in the last 5 years?  You think they don’t test guys anymore? 

I don't have any problems with folks using PEDs.  I was just pointing out that both of your "professional hitters" are proven users.

Archived