Elias' rebuild is going to be centered around high draft picks and player development

GoldGlove21

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the market supports a 2 million attendance with a team that makes the playoffs 3 years out of 5. Now a World Series would bump that. I agree. But anything less is just a wheel spinner. An appearance would increase it as they would likely tie ticketing to season plans for the next year again. 

12 minutes ago, weams said:

I believe the market supports a 2 million attendance with a team that makes the playoffs 3 years out of 5. Now a World Series would bump that. I agree. But anything less is just a wheel spinner. An appearance would increase it as they would likely tie ticketing to season plans for the next year again. 

I can’t disagree too much with anything you said here.   My only caveat is that even though we made the playoffs 3 years out of 5, the team was never hyped.    Media pundits were forever predicting the team to be mediocre, and successes portrayed as being something fleeting.    Put out a team that everyone expects to be a sustained contender and has some good results and the result at the box office might be better.    Anyway, as I said, I’d like to get into a position where we can find out.   Current conditions are going to drive attendance down, we know that.   

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can’t disagree too much with anything you said here.   My only caveat is that even though we made the playoffs 3 years out of 5, the team was never hyped.    Media pundits were forever predicting the team to be mediocre, and successes portrayed as being something fleeting.    Put out a team that everyone expects to be a sustained contender and has some good results and the result at the box office might be better.    Anyway, as I said, I’d like to get into a position where we can find out.   Current conditions are going to drive attendance down, we know that.   

I am glad we agree.

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think being unbearably bad for 3-4 years in a row probably loses fewer fans than bring just regular bad for 14 straight seasons.   At least we know there’s a plan and process in place.

Agreed. As we all know the 14 straight losing seasons did a tremendous amount of damage to the existing fan base. I don't think a stretch of moderate, and at times flukey success is going to repair all the damage done -- especially not when Peter Angelos was still meddling behind the scenes. With new leadership in place, if this organization can build a real no-doubt-about-it contender, with a competent farm system to back it up, let's see where attendance numbers are at in a few years.

11 hours ago, weams said:

They would be lucky to ever get back to Buckle up. 

I think you are very wrong.

Archived