Dempsey is helping Austin Wynns

baltfan

9 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I'm sure Dempsey knows quite a few things about catching that young guys like Wynns don't know.  I also find it pretty likely that front offices and stats analysts in general know more about it nowadays than Dempsey did in 1978.   It's just inevitable as the species continues to observe, collect, and organize knowledge.

When a player who retired 25 years ago comes right out and says that "catcher instruction today is crap compared to back in my day", my assumption is that the game has completely passed him by and he isn't bright enough to see it.  There are countless differences in how the game is played today compared to 1985.  Most of them driven by analysis, data, experience and changing conditions.  Dempsey thinks they've happened because these younger baseball people are dumb and can't see the stupid things they're doing like only he can.

The only things this piece was missing is an admonition to the kids to get off his lawn, and a rant about how the video games are ruining everything.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, interloper said:

Sorry. Putting my fingers in my ears on this one. He's an idiot, a clown, and a self-aggrandizing shill. No amount of sensible back and forth will get me to agree that having Dempsey subverting our coaches is a good thing.

Well then, pot meet kettle.  ? I kid, I kid.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

When a player who retired 25 years ago comes right out and says that "catcher instruction today is crap compared to back in my day", my assumption is that the game has completely passed him by and he isn't bright enough to see it.  There are countless differences in how the game is played today compared to 1985.  Most of them driven by analysis, data, experience and changing conditions.  Dempsey thinks they've happened because these younger baseball people are dumb and can't see the stupid things they're doing like only he can.

The only things this piece was missing is an admonition to the kids to get off his lawn, and a rant about how the video games are ruining everything.

Man, I can't wait to see you in 30 years ?

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

There's a giant difference between Brady working with pitchers...you know, since he was never a major league pitcher...and someone who caught 24 seasons working with a backup catcher.  

You're only mad about this because it's Dempsey and clearly don't like him (newsflash, I don't really care for him either).  If this was someone else, I'm willing to bet you wouldn't care at all if he wasn't cleared by the front office.

Lol I mean, yeah. Can't really argue with that. The guy sucks, IMO. 

I would feel better about it if he had any history of working with players. We hired a catching guru - why isn't THAT guy working with Austin? Hopefully this is older news. I just can't help but feel Rick knew the coaching staff was in shambles and angled to get his voice in the mix. Because that's what he does. 

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm not worried about him ruining anyone, I'm worried about having just anybody being able to work with players without some kind of plan or clearance from, you know, the actual Oriole employees running the team. He's an idiot because every single one of his ideas is about 40 years old and he makes no effort to actually learn about today's game. He was a mediocre player. He's been loudly angling to be the manager for years. He's constantly trying to get his influence on the club but he brings basically nothing to the table except: "Players should be in better shape! They should sit farther back!" Wow, genius. He's a clown. 

Dempsey was an excellent catcher.  He rarely hit.

The real danger here is that Tim Cossins and Demspey don't agree on catching philosophy.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Exactly. You could almost feel Roch nodding along in agreement as he typed out the words. Gross. And then the littany of old guy O's fans loving it in the comments. The hell with this. Trash. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Exactly. You could almost feel Roch nodding along in agreement as he typed out the words. Gross. And then the littany of old guy O's fans loving it in the comments. The hell with this. Trash. 

Bro, take a breath.  It's a backup catcher.  

I'm serious, I don't want to see you on the news later.  Count to 10, go for a walk, do what you gotta do.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Move up closer?

Obviously Dempsey never caught when Manny was at bat.

There is no way catchers set up “at least three feet” further back than when Dempsey was in the majors. First, I’ve observed no difference at all in the time I’ve been a fan.   Second, the frequency of catcher’s interference has hardly changed at all; in fact, active (sort of) player Jacoby Ellsbury is the all-time leader in getting on base via CI.   See this article:  https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/baseball-has-a-new-all-time-record/ 

Of course, Dempsey’s statement that “at least 90 percent of all starters are pretty much out of the ballgame by the middle of the sixth inning” is also untrue, though I get where he’s coming from on that statement.    

As to whether Dempsey’s instruction was authorized by the Orioles, I don’t know.    I’ll leave it to Tim Cossins to get the catchers any instruction they need.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There is no way catchers set up “at least three feet” further back than when Dempsey was in the majors. First, I’ve observed no difference at all in the time I’ve been a fan.   Second, the frequency of catcher’s interference has hardly changed at all; in fact, active (sort of) player Jacoby Ellsbury is the all-time leader in getting on base via CI.   See this article:  https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/baseball-has-a-new-all-time-record/ 

Of course, Dempsey’s statement that “at least 90 percent of all starters are pretty much out of the ballgame by the middle of the sixth inning” is also untrue, though I get where he’s coming from on that statement.    

As to whether Dempsey’s instruction was authorized by the Orioles, I don’t know.    I’ll leave it to Tom Cossins to get the catchers any instruction they need.   

None of what he said makes any sense at all. It's all just crackpot theories.

Hopefully Wynns realized an hour in and politely played along. I imagine the kid rolling his eyes as the guy drives away. 

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Bro, take a breath.  It's a backup catcher.  

I'm serious, I don't want to see you on the news later.  Count to 10, go for a walk, do what you gotta do.

Again, not worried about Wynns. It's just wild that the guy gets as much support from the fanbase as he does. Old men love them some other old men, tell you what.

Players work out in the off season with other players and sometimes even work out with coaches from other teams they know or live near them. I see no harm and no foul. Now if Dempsey tells him to do something different then what the coaches are telling him then you might have a problem. Maybe Wynns wants to work on some things and since the Orioles are just assembling a major league coaching staff ,he got some help from a 24 year veteran catcher.

This news doesn't bother me that much, but it's mostly because I don't see Wynns as being a part of the team's long term plan. Dempsey should have cleared it with Hyde first though. It's all about following the chain of command and that's been a weak spot for this organization.

As much as I'd like to lump this in with the Brady situation I can't. The Orioles put a fox in the hen house when they gave Brady that fancy new title. Dempsey on the other hand is no more a part of the team infrastructure than Roch.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Players work out in the off season with other players and sometimes even work out with coaches from other teams they know or live near them. I see no harm and no foul. Now if Dempsey tells him to do something different then what the coaches are telling him then you might have a problem. Maybe Wynns wants to work on some things and since the Orioles are just assembling a major league coaching staff ,he got some help from a 24 year veteran catcher.

I agree with this, but he probably should have cleared it with Hyde since he's somewhat affiliated with the organization. It's amazing how much drama can be avoided when you just keep others in the loop. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This news doesn't bother me that much, but it's mostly because I don't see Wynns as being a part of the team's long term plan. Dempsey should have cleared it with Hyde first though. It's all about following the chain of command and that's been a weak spot for this organization.

As much as I'd like to lump this in with the Brady situation I can't. The Orioles put a fox in the hen house when they gave Brady that fancy new title. Dempsey on the other hand is no more a part of the team infrastructure than Roch.

Yes. This is my main point, other than taking this opportunity to just absolutely dunk on Rick Dempsey as hard as I can.

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ok, I'll do it one better.  What if Johnny Bench was the one helping Wynns?  

If Johnny Bench said that "catchers today aren't being taught basics, like back in my day" then I'd assume he's let the game and the world pass him by and that he's settled into a kind of bitter nostalgia.

Archived