Dempsey is helping Austin Wynns

baltfan

Lots of, “Catchers aren’t being taught as well as they used to be.”  I am sure Dempsey has good intentions but I wonder if this type of thing really helps Wynns

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/01/wynns-offseason-includes-instruction-from-dempsey.html

“I basically just told him, ‘Listen, I’ve seen what’s happening, I know the kind of instruction that catchers in the major leagues don’t get anymore.

“We went out there and we worked on his setup, we worked on positioning of his glove. We talked about the precision that it takes for a catcher now to be a good defensive catcher. I said the No. 1 thing that is hurting all teams is major league catchers sit way too far back now. They’re at least three feet deeper than they ever were in my era.

“If you can imagine, because it’s just common sense, is that if you sit that far back and you have to catch a ball that’s right on the outside corner, it’s never going to get called a strike by the time it gets to your glove. The umpire’s not only sitting four or five feet now further behind the catcher, but the ball moving across the outside corner is by the time you catch it a good maybe two feet off the plate for strikes. And I feel like since all catchers are doing that, it’s got to be one of the biggest reasons why good starting pitchers have 100 pitches by the fifth inning of every game. Every game. I’d say 90 percent of all starters are pretty much out of the ballgame by middle of the sixth inning.”

“When a player in the past came to me, I more than tried to help them,” Dempsey said. “I know the position pretty darn well. I played the game forever. And you know what? It was time for me to say something.”

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know we all tolerate Dempsey and he's kind of annoying but maybe he's got something to offer.  He was a good defender.

Say if Elrod Hendricks was still alive and helping Wynns would we all be like "OMFG ELIAS HAS TO STEP IN HERE AND STOP THE MADNESS!" or would we all be like, "I LOOOOOVE Elrod!  What a great guy, Wynns is definitely gonna learn something here."

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I know we all tolerate Dempsey and he's kind of annoying but maybe he's got something to offer.  He was a good defender.

Say if Elrod Hendricks was still alive and helping Wynns would we all be like "OMFG ELIAS HAS TO STEP IN HERE AND STOP THE MADNESS!" or would we all be like, "I LOOOOOVE Elrod!  What a great guy, Wynns is definitely gonna learn something here."

Well Elrod isn't a damn idiot. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Well Elrod isn't a damn idiot. 

I'm being a contrarian here, but why's Dempsey a damn idiot?  Is it cause he talks in a folksy manner?  Is it cause he's paid to be more of a homer than Jim Hunter?  

Let's stop pearl clutching and pretending that Dempsey is going to ruin Austin Wynns.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm sure Dempsey knows quite a few things about catching that young guys like Wynns don't know.  I also find it pretty likely that front offices and stats analysts in general know more about it nowadays than Dempsey did in 1978.   It's just inevitable as the species continues to observe, collect, and organize knowledge.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm being a contrarian here, but why's Dempsey a damn idiot?  Is it cause he talks in a folksy manner?  Is it cause he's paid to be more of a homer than Jim Hunter?  

Let's stop pearl clutching and pretending that Dempsey is going to ruin Austin Wynns.  

I'm not worried about him ruining anyone, I'm worried about having just anybody being able to work with players without some kind of plan or clearance from, you know, the actual Oriole employees running the team. He's an idiot because every single one of his ideas is about 40 years old and he makes no effort to actually learn about today's game. He was a mediocre player. He's been loudly angling to be the manager for years. He's constantly trying to get his influence on the club but he brings basically nothing to the table except: "Players should be in better shape! They should sit farther back!" Wow, genius. He's a clown. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No one's saying anyone is going to be ruined.

Best evidence I can think of is on his 3rd or 4th attempt to interview for manager Angelos told him that his own baseball people told him that Dempsey wasn't smart enough for the job.  Dempsey ultimately agreed with that assessment.

It's a double standard that we are mad at Brady for going behind the pitching coach's back with players, but not mad about this. I find this totally unacceptable unless he cleared this with the front office. But come on. We know he didn't. Dempsey knows there isn't a coaching staff in place so he saw his opportunity to assert his influence. The guy is constantly angling. He sucks.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I'm sure Dempsey knows quite a few things about catching that young guys like Wynns don't know.  I also find it pretty likely that front offices and stats analysts in general know more about it nowadays than Dempsey did in 1978.   It's just inevitable as the species continues to observe, collect, and organize knowledge.

Ok, I'll do it one better.  What if Johnny Bench was the one helping Wynns?  

Did you actually read the article?  The advice isn't that bad but I don't think it's gonna save a bunch of pitchers like Dempsey believes.  But I also can't imagine that setting up so a catcher doesn't get hit by a backswing is a terrible thing.  How's moving up a bad thing?  Would you rather have Wynns further back and further from home plate to make the throw to 2nd?  How's working out to improve mobility behind the plate a bad thing?  Some of the things listed in this article don't scream out "Damn, I can't believe they did THAT back in the day, my how as catching changed!"

Just now, interloper said:

I'm not worried about him ruining anyone, I'm worried about having just anybody being to work with players without some kind of plan or clearance from, you know, the actual Oriole employees running the team. He's an idiot because every single one of his ideas is about 40 years old and he makes no effort to actually learn about today's game. He was a mediocre player. He's been loudly angling to be the manager for years. He's constantly trying to get his influence on the club but he brings basically nothing to the table except: "Players should be in better shape! They should sit farther back!" Wow, genius. He's a clown. 

Do we know that Dempsey didn't have clearance?  Maybe Elias is ok with this?  Are we going to be running to Elias every time we see something we don't like? "Daddy Elias, Austin's working out with the weird old 24 season catcher in the offseason MAKE IT STOP!!!!"

Players are free to work out with whoever they want in the offseason from what I can tell, this is small potatoes.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ok, I'll do it one better.  What if Johnny Bench was the one helping Wynns?  

Did you actually read the article?  The advice isn't that bad but I don't think it's gonna save a bunch of pitchers like Dempsey believes.  But I also can't imagine that setting up so a catcher doesn't get hit by a backswing is a terrible thing.  How's moving up a bad thing?  Would you rather have Wynns further back and further from home plate to make the throw to 2nd?  How's working out to improve mobility behind the plate a bad thing?  Some of the things listed in this article don't scream out "Damn, I can't believe they did THAT back in the day, my how as catching changed!"

Do we know that Dempsey didn't have clearance?  Maybe Elias is ok with this?  Are we going to be running to Elias every time we see something we don't like? "Daddy Elias, Austin's working out with the weird old 24 season catcher in the offseason MAKE IT STOP!!!!"

Players are free to work out with whoever they want in the offseason from what I can tell, this is small potatoes.  

Sorry. Putting my fingers in my ears on this one. He's an idiot, a clown, and a self-aggrandizing shill. No amount of sensible back and forth will get me to agree that having Dempsey subverting our coaches is a good thing.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's a double standard that we are mad at Brady for going behind the pitching coach's back with players, but not mad about this. I find this totally unacceptable unless he cleared this with the front office. But come on. We know he didn't. Dempsey knows there isn't a coaching staff in place so he saw his opportunity to assert his influence. The guy is constantly angling. He sucks.

There's a giant difference between Brady working with pitchers...you know, since he was never a major league pitcher...and someone who caught 24 seasons working with a backup catcher.  

You're only mad about this because it's Dempsey and clearly don't like him (newsflash, I don't really care for him either).  If this was someone else, I'm willing to bet you wouldn't care at all if he wasn't cleared by the front office.

Archived