Dempsey is helping Austin Wynns

baltfan

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I agree with this, but he probably should have cleared it with Hyde since he's somewhat affiliated with the organization. It's amazing how much drama can be avoided when you just keep others in the loop. 

Maybe he cleared it with Elias  Maybe Elias said go work with him till we get a coaching staff in place. Who knows?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, interloper said:

Yes. This is my main point, other than taking this opportunity to just absolutely dunk on Rick Dempsey as hard as I can.

There's no doubt in my mind that behind the good intentions this is a bit of a sad attempt for him (Dempsey) to remain relevant. I think that's why I respected guys like Brooks and Eddie so much. They didn't need to be in the limelight. Especially Brooks. Everything he did outside of the game was to benefit the community not feed his ego. 

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Maybe he cleared it with Elias  Maybe Elias said go work with him till we get a coaching staff in place. Who knows?

That's true. It's definitely possible although Dempsey seems like more of a loose cannon type to me. Alas it's the off season and there's nothing else for us to talk about. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

There's no doubt in my mind that behind the good intentions this is a bit of a sad attempt for him (Dempsey) to remain relevant. I think that's why I respected guys like Brooks and Eddie so much. They didn't need to be in the limelight. Especially Brooks. Everything he did outside of the game was to benefit the community not feed his ego. 

Yes. YES!

Just now, Going Underground said:

Players work out in the off season with other players and sometimes even work out with coaches from other teams they know or live near them. I see no harm and no foul. Now if Dempsey tells him to do something different then what the coaches are telling him then you might have a problem. Maybe Wynns wants to work on some things and since the Orioles are just assembling a major league coaching staff ,he got some help from a 24 year veteran catcher.

This is kind of how I feel.    Dempsey makes a lot of exaggerated and hyperbolic statements, but he does know his craft.    If Wynns wants Dempsey to give him some pointers, I have no problem with it.    Obviously, once a coaching staff is in place we want to be sure that Wynns is principally taking his instruction from them.     But lots of players seek outside help in the offseason.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is kind of how I feel.    Dempsey makes a lot of exaggerated and hyperbolic statements, but he does know his craft.    If Wynns wants Dempsey to give him some pointers, I have no problem with it.    Obviously, once a coaching staff is in place we want to be sure that Wynns is principally taking his instruction from them.     But lots of players seek outside help in the offseason.   

Are you sure?  Cause Drungo and interloper believe that if you haven't caught in the past 20+ years, you've got nothing to offer.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Are you sure?  Cause Drungo and interloper believe that if you haven't caught in the past 20+ years, you've got nothing to offer.  

Way to put words in my mouth. Not at all my dude. If the guy is older and has coaching experience and some good ideas and mixes old school with new school, great. Sign me up! 

If the guy is Rick Dempsey spouting nonsense backed up by no actual facts? No. Take a walk, guy. He was a good defensive catcher, sure. In the nearly 40 years since, he has learned precisely nothing about coaching or the modern game of baseball, nor has he seemingly made any effort to. He has offered bad and wrong opinions on what he thinks the Orioles should do, as evidenced by his post game "analysis", his multiple failed attempts at interviewing for manager, and his willingness to give Roch quotes about why he's good. 

Rick is not a coach. He's a TV personality. He was pretty decent at one time, and he of course thinks that is the best time. 

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Man, I can't wait to see you in 30 years ?

I love history, but it's mostly a cautionary tale.  The pace of progress over the last couple of centuries is such that a 50-year regression in a field is pretty darned unlikely.  One of my primary goals in life is to never be the old man shouting nonsense from his porch.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know we all tolerate Dempsey and he's kind of annoying but maybe he's got something to offer.  He was a good defender.

Say if Elrod Hendricks was still alive and helping Wynns would we all be like "OMFG ELIAS HAS TO STEP IN HERE AND STOP THE MADNESS!" or would we all be like, "I LOOOOOVE Elrod!  What a great guy, Wynns is definitely gonna learn something here."

Dempsey sure is fun. I like him. 

Archived