Dempsey is helping Austin Wynns

baltfan

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Way to put words in my mouth. Not at all my dude. If the guy is older and has coaching experience and some good ideas and mixes old school with new school, great. Sign me up! 

If the guy is Rick Dempsey spouting nonsense backed up by no actual facts? No. Take a walk, guy. He was a good defensive catcher, sure. In the nearly 40 years since, he has learned precisely nothing about coaching or the modern game of baseball, nor has he seemingly made any effort to. He has offered bad and wrong opinions on what he thinks the Orioles should do, as evidenced by his post game "analysis", his multiple failed attempts at interviewing for manager, and his willingness to give Roch quotes about why he's good. 

Rick is not a coach. He's a TV personality. He was pretty decent at one time, and he of course thinks that is the best time. 

Ok, fine.  Sorry for putting words in your mouth.

That said, tell me what parts of the advice he gave Wynns aren't relatable to the modern game of baseball.  Not trying to be a smartass (odd for me, I know), just genuinely trying to figure out what was so awful about the coaching Wynns received (other than the fact it was from Dempsey).

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Way to put words in my mouth. Not at all my dude. If the guy is older and has coaching experience and some good ideas and mixes old school with new school, great. Sign me up! 

If the guy is Rick Dempsey spouting nonsense backed up by no actual facts? No. Take a walk, guy. He was a good defensive catcher, sure. In the nearly 40 years since, he has learned precisely nothing about coaching or the modern game of baseball, nor has he seemingly made any effort to. He has offered bad and wrong opinions on what he thinks the Orioles should do, as evidenced by his post game "analysis", his multiple failed attempts at interviewing for manager, and his willingness to give Roch quotes about why he's good. 

Rick is not a coach. He's a TV personality. He was pretty decent at one time, and he of course thinks that is the best time. 

I think you’re being too harsh on Dempsey.   First of all, it’s not correct that he hasn’t caught in 40 years; he played until 1992, which was 26 years ago.   It’s also incorrect that he never coached; he was a minor league manager and a major league coach up through 2006.     So it’s not like he’s decades removed from relevant experience.    And, I don’t think you catch for 24 years despite having a light bat unless you’re pretty good at the defensive part, including the mental part.    

All that said, I’m sure there’s some modern aspects of catching that Dempsey knows little about.    Probably more on the game-calling side than the physical side.    

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

That said, tell me what parts of the advice he gave Wynns aren't relatable to the modern game of baseball.  Not trying to be a smartass (odd for me, I know), just genuinely trying to figure out what was so awful about the coaching Wynns received (other than the fact it was from Dempsey).

Because it is Dempsey or Brady and that is a tunnel into the OLD ways!

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

One of my primary goals in life is to never be the old man shouting nonsense from his porch.

See, that IS one of my goals.  I figure if I live into my 80s then my @#$^ it filter is gone and I can say a bunch of stuff cause I'm getting close to the end and I won't care anymore.  

Just now, weams said:

Because it is Dempsey or Brady and that is a tunnel into the OLD ways!

Well Brady working with pitchers is a head scratcher, for sure.  Dempsey working with a catcher, not so much.  

I read the article and outside of the hyperbole, there's not a lot that sounds like some off the wall insane advice that no one should listen to.  Like the example of being on the balls of your feet instead of being flat footed, that makes sense.  I doubt there's some modern analytics guru out there saying "No, you should sink into your heels when receiving a pitch because it allows one extra rotation on the 4 seam fastball and lefthanded hitters in July drop .100 points in OPS when you do that.  Crouching and being on the balls of your feet is wrong, it's old and it should have stopped when Mickey Cochrane retired."

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Are you sure?  Cause Drungo and interloper believe that if you haven't caught in the past 20+ years, you've got nothing to offer.  

It's one thing to give him some tips and pointers and try to incorporate that into all the stuff he's learned from modern coaches who're still actively engaged in the game.  And maybe we should give Dipper the benefit of the doubt, and his hyperbolic statements aren't the full truth.  

But it's hard to give him some rope when he basically says he knows better than the guys who've been doing active work with MLB teams for the past two decades while he's been free-associating stuff from the MASN home studio.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

See, that IS one of my goals.  I figure if I live into my 80s then my @#$^ it filter is gone and I can say a bunch of stuff cause I'm getting close to the end and I won't care anymore.  

Me. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Well like I said, I'm not so much worried about the instruction Wynns received. Sure, strengthen your calves. I bet he hasn't heard that before as a catcher. Balls of your feet. Wow, incredible insight. This is all stuff Wynns and his *real* coaches know. So the kid will be fine. I don't care so much about the specifics of instruction because, like you said, he's probably a backup catcher. And, crucially, he's not a pitcher.

What I don't like is a free-wheeling Rick Dempsey - or anyone, really - going around outside of the purview of our actual coaching staff. Yes, players work with random people, fine fine. It's not as bad as the Brady thing, sure, I'll accept that. I just want a tightly-run ship for once. Rick Dempsey getting his rocks off thinking he's a catching great spouting old timey ideas is not my idea of a tightly run ship. Put this idiot back in his TV box. 

It's the idea that ex-players are able to provide instruction that is based on no actual fact that worries me. Thankfully this is not Rick teaching our possible future #1 pick catcher. But it could be! And I don't like that. Rick is not a coach. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Like Jerry Seinfeld says, “what age do you have to be before you don’t have to look when you’re backing out of your driveway anymore?   It’s just, ‘I’m old, and I’m coming BACK!’”

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's one thing to give him some tips and pointers and try to incorporate that into all the stuff he's learned from modern coaches who're still actively engaged in the game.  And maybe we should give Dipper the benefit of the doubt, and his hyperbolic statements aren't the full truth.  

But it's hard to give him some rope when he basically says he knows better than the guys who've been doing active work with MLB teams for the past two decades while he's been free-associating stuff from the MASN home studio.

Bear with me. We are talking Austin Wynns here. I think that is great experimental material. Heck, Dempsey wasn't much more than him. I really don't care if  Rick is right or not. This is great fun! And it is not retreading Caleb. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well Brady working with pitchers is a head scratcher, for sure.  Dempsey working with a catcher, not so much.  

I read the article and outside of the hyperbole, there's not a lot that sounds like some off the wall insane advice that no one should listen to.  Like the example of being on the balls of your feet instead of being flat footed, that makes sense.  I doubt there's some modern analytics guru out there saying "No, you should sink into your heels when receiving a pitch because it allows one extra rotation on the 4 seam fastball and lefthanded hitters in July drop .100 points in OPS when you do that.  Crouching and being on the balls of your feet is wrong, it's old and it should have stopped when Mickey Cochrane retired."

Brady is a good judge of how a pitcher is perceived.  Especially a right hander. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think you’re being too harsh on Dempsey.   First of all, it’s not correct that he hasn’t caught in 40 years; he played until 1992, which was 26 years ago.   It’s also incorrect that he never coached; he was a minor league manager and a major league coach up through 2006.     So it’s not like he’s decades removed from relevant experience.    And, I don’t think you catch for 24 years despite having a light bat unless you’re pretty good at the defensive part, including the mental part.    

All that said, I’m sure there’s some modern aspects of catching that Dempsey knows little about.    Probably more on the game-calling side than the physical side.    

Fair points that I of course didn't bother to check because I'm having too much fun dunking on Rick Dempsey. 

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm definitely going to tell Grandpa Simpson stories about tying onions to my belt and starting rumbles with the kids from Shelbyville.  But I'll try to make it clear it's just nonsense and nobody should take that as advice for the year 2050.

Archived