Interesting FAs

wildcard

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Some FA's might choose a milb if they believe they have a reasonable path to becoming a starter on that org's MLB club sooner than later. But I think most FA's will take the guarantee of MLB playing status along with the publicity, accommodations and pension. If that means losing with KC or Baltimore, I think most would take the chance that a mid-season trade could open the door for the player to perform in the post-season. In such cases, a player could possibly build greater value for his next contract should he succeed during the regular season and, maybe, on the big stage too.

Sure.  I wasn't trying to say that they would rather play the season in AAA.

On 1/7/2019 at 6:59 AM, TommyPickles said:

Please no more Gentry...

Jones and Markakis will sign elsewhere. 

Quoting you just to reinforce... ?

Of the list provided, I might be interested in Nate Karns on a low guarantee contract with incentives at, maybe, 25 starts and 30 starts: $1.5MM/+$1MM/+$1MM. $3.5MM for 30 starts.

If he performs well, he might get traded before the team has to pay him $3.5MM.

Nightengale tweeted that the O's are interested in Matt Davidson. I wonder if it's as a pitching conversion or a two way type, he throws 90-91 and can spin a good curveball. He pitched in HS and has a nice arm action, but outside of that, it looks like a beer league delivery. I think he'd be an easy mid-90s guy with pitching instruction/throwing program.

Ladies and gentlemen...your starting 3rdbaseman for the 2019 Orioles is (drum roll)...Matt Davidson! On the plus side the walk from 3B to the mound is a short one. 

The Orioles are showing interest in free agent Matt Davidson, according to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.

The rebuilding O's are certainly in good position to let Davidson experiment as a two-way player. They could use him in the lineup against left-handed opponents and let him pitch fairly regularly in relief, if they'd like. The 27-year-old slugged 20 home runs in 123 games last season with the White Sox and also made three scoreless appearances out of the bullpen.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Ladies and gentlemen...your starting 3rdbaseman for the 2019 Orioles is (drum roll)...Matt Davidson! On the plus side the walk from 3B to the mound is a short one. 

The Orioles are showing interest in free agent Matt Davidson, according to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.

The rebuilding O's are certainly in good position to let Davidson experiment as a two-way player. They could use him in the lineup against left-handed opponents and let him pitch fairly regularly in relief, if they'd like. The 27-year-old slugged 20 home runs in 123 games last season with the White Sox and also made three scoreless appearances out of the bullpen.

It would be fun to watch.

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I can see it now. Davidson and Davis will both become two way players and will be the equivalent of what the "Nasty Boys" were to the Reds in the early 90s. We need a nickname for them though. How 'bout the "Double Ds"?

Yep, they would also combine for 400-450 strikeouts if both were in the lineup regularly.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Yep, they would also combine for 400-450 strikeouts if both were in the lineup regularly.

Maybe we can sit in the cheap seats and hold up backwards Ks when they strike someone out and forward Ks when they strikeout? Also, imagine all the money the team would save on A/C if OPACY was a domed stadium. That Chris Davis contract would pay for itself in no time!

I think if he could be had for cheap, Marwin Gonzalez wouldn't be a bad signing. A switch hitter who played 7 positions last year and has a bit of power. His versatility could really come in handy with so much offensive uncertainty in our lineup.

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I can see it now. Davidson and Davis will both become two way players and will be the equivalent of what the "Nasty Boys" were to the Reds in the early 90s. We need a nickname for them though. How 'bout the "Double Ds"?

If Davis pitched, he'd be a one way player.

11 hours ago, nate22 said:

I think if he could be had for cheap, Marwin Gonzalez wouldn't be a bad signing. A switch hitter who played 7 positions last year and has a bit of power. His versatility could really come in handy with so much offensive uncertainty in our lineup.

He's going to get 10M+ per year. 

Archived