WaPo: Spin Rates and Buy In

weams

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/9/2019 at 9:21 AM, Frobby said:

It’s by far his most effective pitch, but I do worry about the cumulative effect on his arm of throwing it too often.   

I'd rather have 3 years of a 3.00 era pitcher than 5 years of a 4.50 era pitcher.  Sorry Dylan :-).

Great stuff all over this thread, Luke!  A great contribution.  (I would like to see the OH put the articles highlighted on the front page into their own threads - with the thread linked below the article.  Not intuitive right now on how a reader might comment on an article - one has to first find it embedded in another thread?  Just a suggestion.)

I was most intrigued by Bard among the names in the article.  He seems to have the best FB among the three listed.

Regarding the general discussion in this thread, I have the following thoughts:

- is there an expectation that the Orioles will have databases developed and analytics produced in time for ST?  A lot of mention here of the pitchers who might be helped most by what can be produced by our new analytics group, but the implication is that the Orioles might have the full range of quality information provided to Astros players within four or five months of ME's hiring.  I am sure there is some pitch mix and other data that can be worked relatively quickly (most of which I assume our prior GM had), but I would be pleasantly surprised if our front office would have the full tools at its disposal as ME had in Houston in such a short amount of time especially when a fairly different database to process draft candidates likely has a higher priority.

- I think the major league and high minors pitchers who could really see results spike with incremental improvement are Scott, Carroll and Bundy (all as mentioned in this thread) and perhaps Cobb.  I worry Bundy's FB gets hit too hard so it will be interesting to see what tweaks are made with him.  

On 1/9/2019 at 7:07 PM, Can_of_corn said:

big-mistake.gif

Per your source, Bundy’s best fastball - on the day (05/29/17) that inspired the 95mph heat tweet - was 95.40, his previous start was 6 days prior. In 2018, as fate would have it, Dylan Bundy pitched on the exact same day, in the exact same place, on less rest ...

his best fb...

on May 29th..

was...

Weams said, Bundy no longer has what he had in the clip I shared, but evidence shows - Bundy had more, on the same day, on less rest, just this past season. 

giphy.gif

On 1/9/2019 at 7:39 PM, Flash- bd said:

Still can't believe that *expletive* Gausman trade. Would've liked to see what a competent organization could've done with his value. Well, I guess we already saw some of that in Atlanta. 

What still pisses me off about the Duquette regime is how little value we got from Gausman, Arrieta, Eduardo Rodriguez, and Zach Davies. We actually produced a decent amount of pitching talent in those year but got so little from it. Inexcusable from a low-mid payroll franchise that by definition must punch above its weight. 

At least they turned Hader into something nice.

5 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

At least they turned Hader into something nice.

The Astros traded Hader as well. They got 1/2 year of Carlos Gomez. 

Here is a retrospective on the trade   They didn’t even reluctantly give him up  

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/tom-haudricourt/2018/04/20/haudricourt-because-there-crying-baseball-brewers-have-josh-hader-bullpen-force/526901002/

Melvin admitted to wondering why the Astros were willing to part with Hader so soon after acquiring him from the Orioles.

“It’s funny that he’s been traded twice,” Melvin said. “It makes you wonder why. Is there something we don’t know? Maybe they just figured he’d be a reliever.

“Even if people thought he was a reliever, he still had a chance to be a dominant reliever.”

9 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Great stuff all over this thread, Luke!  A great contribution.  (I would like to see the OH put the articles highlighted on the front page into their own threads - with the thread linked below the article.  Not intuitive right now on how a reader might comment on an article - one has to first find it embedded in another thread?  Just a suggestion.)

I was most intrigued by Bard among the names in the article.  He seems to have the best FB among the three listed.

Regarding the general discussion in this thread, I have the following thoughts:

- is there an expectation that the Orioles will have databases developed and analytics produced in time for ST?  A lot of mention here of the pitchers who might be helped most by what can be produced by our new analytics group, but the implication is that the Orioles might have the full range of quality information provided to Astros players within four or five months of ME's hiring.  I am sure there is some pitch mix and other data that can be worked relatively quickly (most of which I assume our prior GM had), but I would be pleasantly surprised if our front office would have the full tools at its disposal as ME had in Houston in such a short amount of time especially when a fairly different database to process draft candidates likely has a higher priority.

- I think the major league and high minors pitchers who could really see results spike with incremental improvement are Scott, Carroll and Bundy (all as mentioned in this thread) and perhaps Cobb.  I worry Bundy's FB gets hit too hard so it will be interesting to see what tweaks are made with him.  

Yeah, that's on me, I agree with you. I was about to head to bed after being up all night taking care of newborn twins and I just linked it in relevant articles rather than start a new thread.

Bard is a guy I like too, he was in my top 5 for the Rule 5 draft in 2017. 

I think while the Orioles weren't on the cutting edge of analytics, they did gather data, so I think there will be plenty to work with (albeit not everything they were used to in Houston). I think it's worth mentioning that this will be new to a lot of players in the org as well, so there may be more low hanging fruit as far as useful tweaks to be made. 

Now regarding producing a draft model or player acquisition model in order to take emotion out of the process, that will likely take longer to recreate. 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, that's on me, I agree with you. I was about to head to bed after being up all night taking care of newborn twins and I just linked it in relevant articles rather than start a new thread.

Bard is a guy I like too, he was in my top 5 for the Rule 5 draft in 2017. 

I think while the Orioles weren't on the cutting edge of analytics, they did gather data, so I think there will be plenty to work with (albeit not everything they were used to in Houston). I think it's worth mentioning that this will be new to a lot of players in the org as well, so there may be more low hanging fruit as far as useful tweaks to be made. 

Now regarding producing a draft model or player acquisition model in order to take emotion out of the process, that will likely take longer to recreate. 

Thanks for all of your posts and taking the time for the articles. I put up repositories for commentary. 

Archived