You're next

weams

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think an immediate penalty is needed.

By exceeding the cap, a team is already acknowledging that it has a lot of capital to spend and doesn't care about any penalty.  It also doesn't care about the draft in as much as they can buy that player immediately instead of waiting 3 to 5 years for them to develop.  Exceeding a cap should cost them all their picks that were overlooked on the way to exceeding said cap hence deplete their farm system.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I often wonder what would happen if there was no domestic draft, no international slotting, and no price controls on professional players....i.e. a free market for labor. The cynic in me thinks one result would be a lot more high school (and junior high school) coaches driving around in fancy cars. But beyond that, I am not sure what the result would be. A far diminished minor league system? A greater share of the profits going to players and more equitably spread around? Or more concentration in young superstars?

3 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

By exceeding the cap, a team is already acknowledging that it has a lot of capital to spend and doesn't care about any penalty.  It also doesn't care about the draft in as much as they can buy that player immediately instead of waiting 3 to 5 years for them to develop.  Exceeding a cap should cost them all their picks that were overlooked on the way to exceeding said cap hence deplete their farm system.

No team is acting in this manner.  Not even close.

George is dead.

Just now, thezeroes said:

And have a STIFF PENALTY for exceeding the cap would keep all the teams from even thinking about it.

I'm fine with a team exceeding it and paying a substantial long term penalty.

I don't want to unduly eliminate strategy when it comes to team building.

If a team values the present that much more than the future they should be allowed to act accordingly.

17 hours ago, atomic said:

I am not sure what you are trying to state.  I am saying if you released all Major League players and brought up all AAA players to play the game by the end of the year the fans wouldn't' care. Don't care what you pay them.  People watched baseball during WW2 when a ton of the star players were in the service and the quality of players at AAA now are better than the players were then.  

I think that's a disingenuous comparison for a number of reasons, and it's not exactly true.  AL attendance was off at least 25% from 1940-44.  The Yanks were around 1 million in 1940, but under 800k in 1944, and that was pretty representative.

If they released all the current MLB players and replaced them with AAA guys, first the MLBers would form a new league that had all the credibility.  But it would be 5-10 years before the majors returned to something like current talent and popularity, and that's assuming the new league failed.  It's entirely possible that the new league would eventually supersede or take the place of the established majors.  If there were two teams in Baltimore, one called the Orioles and full of Norfolk players (this is probably a bad example, since the real O's are a 47-win team...) and one called the Terrapins and full of real major leaguers the Terrapins would probably draw more fans, as long as they had a decent place to play.

Heck, in the Orioles' current situation if a Continental League team called the Baltimore Terrapins popped up and was a playoff contender the real Orioles might be pretty worried about their continued existence.

15 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I often wonder what would happen if there was no domestic draft, no international slotting, and no price controls on professional players....i.e. a free market for labor. The cynic in me thinks one result would be a lot more high school (and junior high school) coaches driving around in fancy cars. But beyond that, I am not sure what the result would be. A far diminished minor league system? A greater share of the profits going to players and more equitably spread around? Or more concentration in young superstars?

We had that from the beginning of time until 1964, more or less.  Of course there was no MLB free agency, but amateur players were free to sign with any team, and teams were free to pay them whatever it took.  In that environment the Orioles went from essentially an expansion team with almost no minor league system and a 50-something win baseline to 90+ win team in the years between 1954 and 1961.  In the same league as the Yanks and other teams that had been established for over half a century.  Brooks and Palmer could have signed with any team including New York, but they signed with the Orioles.

Of course this was also when the Yanks made the World Series 29 times from 1921-64.

Archived