Astros and Orioles pitching

Just Regular

Under Team Control for 2020

BAL – Cobb $14M, Bundy Arb2, Givens Arb2

HOU – Osuna Arb2, McCullers Arb3, Peacock Arb4, Devenski Arb2, James, Whitley

Despite the total contrast in competitive positions, the 2020 Astros don’t have many more innings under team control for next year than we do.

I’m going to be very interested to see how the Astros build towards their 1500 IP for next year.  I’m pretty sure they’ll retain one of Cole/Verlander, but both will be tough.  Once they secure the #1, do they still chase the #2 as hard as Pressly or some of their other good FA relievers?

The Yankees slow playing Machado and Harper while pushing on Britton and Ottavino is another example of “now” teams valuing per-inning dominance more than anything.  I think in their view, even names as famous as Happ and Tanaka are only there to make sure they qualify, and aren’t really pitchers they mean to use much in October.

(I’ll set aside Craig Kimbrel’s delusions of grandeur on the length in years as a big artificial constraint on his market, but he’ll get far into eight figures once he comes down to 3-4 years).

I hope we’ll be in the market for playoff-style players again by 2022, and will be curious to see if the Astros 2020 strategy is something we’ll mirror closely another couple years out.

30 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm curious to see what the Astros do with Tucker. He has nothing left to prove in the minors, but they continue to block him (i.e., the Brantley signing). If they're not as high on him as others then I think they could definitely flip him for a very good starting pitcher. 

Tucker is one of the main pieces that the Astros are reported to being offering in a deal for  Realmuto.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tucker is one of the main pieces that the Astros are reported to being offering in a deal for  Realmuto.

I remember reading that, but I thought it was that the Marlins wanted Tucker and/or Whitley and that Astros weren't willing to give either of them up. I honestly don't see the Astros trading for him if the asking price is that high. Having a great hitting catcher is a luxury that they don't really need. They'd be better served improving their starting rotation. 

6 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I can’t see them trading him when they need to upgrade the rotation. He slots in perfectly for their needs.

I agree, they aren't going to trade him. I was suggesting trying to acquire him mid 2017 before he became a national name, but I bet he was 99.9% off limits already, they knew what they had. He was the best minor league pitcher I saw in 2017 by a large margin, and I saw Mitch Keller.

On 7/15/2017 at 7:34 PM, Luke-OH said:

If there is any way to get Forrest Whitley at the deadline, we should do it. Dude is going to be a top 10 guy by the end of this season.

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I agree, they aren't going to trade him. I was suggesting trying to acquire him mid 2017 before he became a national name, but I bet he was 99.9% off limits already, they knew what they had. He was the best minor league pitcher I saw in 2017 by a large margin, and I saw Mitch Keller.

I wonder if they’re giving their young guys (James, Whitley) the first shot at the two open spots. And McHugh is no lock to have success again as a starter.

35 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I remember reading that, but I thought it was that the Marlins wanted Tucker and/or Whitley and that Astros weren't willing to give either of them up. I honestly don't see the Astros trading for him if the asking price is that high. Having a great hitting catcher is a luxury that they don't really need. They'd be better served improving their starting rotation. 

When the Astros signed FA Brantley it look to me like a signal that they would trade Tucker in the right deal.  Whether that is for Realmuto or a starter will probably depend on the deal they can swing IMO.

Archived