Congratulations, Moose!

TonySoprano

What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there ya have it.  Ten years ago, I had to defend Mussina's candidacy.  A lot of people just didn't think he was good enough.  Especially "old school" fans.  I had to try to explain how Moose was really one of the better pitchers in baseball after WW II.

Now, the only question is whether he goes in as an Oriole or a Yankee.

Congrats Moose.  You were at one point my favorite baseball player.  Maybe the joke was on me.  But you deserve this!

2 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Well there ya have it.  Ten years ago, I had to defend Mussina's candidacy.  A lot of people just didn't think he was good enough.  Especially "old school" fans.  I had to try to explain how Moose was really one of the better pitchers in baseball after WW II.

Now, the only question is whether he goes in as an Oriole or a Yankee.

Congrats Moose.  You were at one point my favorite baseball player.  Maybe the joke was on me.  But you deserve this!

I said he was going to get in but with the backlog of names it would take a while.

I think this qualifies as a while.

He’s an Oriole, and should go in the HOF as such.  I know he left town on a sour note, which I blame mostly on Peter Angelos, but Moose knows his best years were in Baltimore, and the numbers prove it.  He is an Orioles Hall of Famer, but I don’t think he’s a Yankees Hall of Famer.  Moose also spent 10 seasons in Baltimore vs. 8 years with the Yankees.  He was always the ace of the Orioles, while he was never the ace of the Yankees.  I will be very disappointed if he goes in as a Yankee.  If he goes in as an Oriole, he should get a statue and have a ceremony.  We need to welcome him back into the Oriole family with open arms and make him feel special, which he deserves.  He never wanted to leave here in the first place.

So why did I have a man crush on Mussina?

119608.jpg

There was something about the guy that was unsettling.  When he took the mound he had this flat look, like he was disgusted by the hitter.  He would stare at the ground for a while, then glare at the batter, then deliver the pitch.  He was probably thinking "how am I going to dissect this specimen?"  -knuckle curve-  and the batter looked silly.

I never got the feeling that the moment was bigger than him.  Which is what made it so frustrating to see him get so close to a no hitter... so close to 20 wins (he would've had one in 1994 if it weren't for the strike)... so close to a World Series.  That beautiful game he pitched against Cleveland cost me a lot of money - not because I bet on the game, but because I smashed my prescription glasses when the Orioles lost.

Then, my heart was taken from me.  Moose left.  For the MFY.  Well, at the time I was very bitter.  Years later I realized that the situation was murky and part of a bigger problem with the team.  I wish I could remember who said it, but apparently Mussina decided he was gone after the Orioles got rid of BJ Surhoff despite his pleas to be near his ill son at Johns Hopkins.

Anyway, I hope he goes in as an Oriole because it will be a loooong time before we get another opportunity.  But if he wears a Yankee cap, or no cap at all, I'll understand.

I honestly didn't think he would get in this year, I thought it would come next year at the earliest. Thay being said, I'm glad Moose finally got the call because he legitimately deserved it. He made his mark in an era with unprecedented offense's, and as far as the Orioles go he was the best pitcher in team history not named Palmer by a wide margin. Whether he goes in as an Oriole or a yankee, I really don't care. 

Should go in as an Oriole. His most memorable moments were here. Might feel differently if he had won a Cy or WS with the MFY. Congratulations to him though. I had a grudge for years over leaving for the Yanks but he was fun to watch when he was on. I’ll never forget the near perfecto in 1997. I still dislike Sandy Alomar for spoiling that.

Archived