Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Has Boras already been paid his commission in full, or does he get paid as Davis gets paid?  If it's the latter, then Boras has a say although Davis theoretically could just write him a check to make him whole then tell him to go away.

Sports agents as malevolent and dictatorial makes for better fiction and it seems that the message is now taken more seriously in the real world than it should.  In fairness, Boras doesn't let too many opportunities to reinforce that notion pass by.

I can't imagine the various contracts are written in such a way that a buy out would damage Boras' commission.

7 minutes ago, o'sfansince1970 said:

I really don't understand why he was in the lineup today. Sale was mowing everyone down but it seems like a no brainer to sit CD today. You could make a case for that being every day I guess.

The media didn't question Buck on the move?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can't imagine the various contracts are written in such a way that a buy out would damage Boras' commission.

Nor can I.  I'm just pointing out that Davis has already given him certain power so Boras isn't an employee in the traditional sense.  Also agent/talent contracts are rarely as simple as "I negotiate your next contract for x percentage and we're done".  For example, Davis might have given Boras the right to a certain percentage of endorsement income and if Davis retired early, that opportunity would be permanently closed.  Boras would have grounds to claim that he deserved compensation in that case.  

9 minutes ago, o'sfansince1970 said:

I really don't understand why he was in the lineup today. Sale was mowing everyone down but it seems like a no brainer to sit CD today. You could make a case for that being every day I guess.

He probably wouldn't have been in the lineup if not for Trumbo's injured knee. But without Trumbo, the only options besides Davis were the backup catcher (Caleb) and Jace Peterson, who's also a lefty.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Boras isn't the boss, Boras is the employee.

He only has what power the player gives him.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Agents work for the player.

Scott Boras is an Agent, as such I think he would do all possible to get every penny that his players (current and Future).

10 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Scott Boras is an Agent, as such I think he would do all possible to get every penny that his players (current and Future).

But the thing is, he doesn't have power in this situation.

Only thing he can do is advise Davis to not take a buyout and get him the best terms if Davis does agree to one.

I wonder if negotiating a buyout that includes his client's permanent retirement is included in the services Davis has already paid for or if an additional charge would be levied?

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I sort of feel like he’s looking better, but he had a .508 OPS in August going into tonight.    I think we’re clutching at straws, frankly.  

Otherwise known as when you manage to put up numbers that aren’t on pace for the worst season ever, it’s a low hurdle to jump.