Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

19 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I agree with this too, but the appearance that he isn't "trying" to do anything is what is troubling.  Just reread the SI article. 

Yet I also wonder if it is "mental."  I mean apparently he does have a medical issue with ADD and has been medicated successfully in the past with a substance that is now banned.  IDK, it would seem to me that he has a gripe in that regard.  Still, if he is unable to do much of anything at the plate nor meaningfully engage in trying to fix the problem, medicated appropriately or not, then he needs to go by whatever mechanism the team can use to remove him from the team.

I'd much rather see someone trying to make it than I would a frustrated Davis abusing his bat over his knee or the clubhouse railing.

It's not banned, he just didn't have a TUE for the Adderall when he was suspended and did receive one for Vyvanse the year after his suspension.  But I don't think anyone knows if he is still on either medication currently (or well this past year while he was playing).   So, if it is a focus issue, he really doesn't have a gripe since he can be treated.   But like you and others really think, I agree, he's just lost the ability to play at this level. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

No doubt you're right but you have to give him a reason why he's on the bench until ownership lets you release him.

Be honest with him and tell him he doesn't have it anymore. He should have realized that by now. I guess it's difficult for an athlete like him to realize its time to hang it up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

Be honest with him and tell him he doesn't have it anymore. He should have realized that by now. I guess it's difficult for an athlete like him to realize its time to hang it up.

It would be difficult for Elias to do that without giving Davis a trial period because he hasn't been here. I'm just saying give him that trial period in ST rather than the start of the season.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Try the first year or two. 

It will take Elias the entire season to get all his ducks in a row.  I've advocated giving Davis until the AS break to turn it around and no more, but I now think it will be at least all of 2019.  With everything else currently facing the organization, Davis doesn't demand attention right this minute.

I'd be nice if CD was a little more public about all the things he's doing to get back to his old self.  Otherwise people could get the idea he doesn't care.

14 minutes ago, 24fps said:

It will take Elias the entire season to get all his ducks in a row.  I've advocated giving Davis until the AS break to turn it around and no more, but I now think it will be at least all of 2019.  With everything else currently facing the organization, Davis doesn't demand attention right this minute.

I'd be nice if CD was a little more public about all the things he's doing to get back to his old self.  Otherwise people could get the idea he doesn't care.

He was public last year and he turned out to be not telling the truth.

I wonder if CD has ever heard about the film The Legend of Banner Vance. In a nutshell, a guardian angel by that name shows up to revive the career of a once-great golfer (Matt Damon) who has "lost his swing." Banner (Will Smith) gives him some mystical tidbits of advice like "you have to find your authentic swing... it's there inside you, it's been there all along... it's not in your head, it's in your hands... you just have to remember..." It works, and the hero makes a miraculous comeback in a match with Bobby Jones and Walter Hagen.

Just saw this 2000 film last night and it's almost enough to give me hope for our own lost soul, The Crushah.

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2018 at 1:17 PM, 24fps said:

He has the excuse (so far) that there is no hitting coach to guide him.

On 12/14/2018 at 12:52 PM, Tx Oriole said:

He's got a few million reasons not to hang it up.

12 hours ago, SteveA said:

He's got a few million reasons not to hang it up.

I wonder how much he owes to other people (Boras) out of his annual pay?  If he retired and just gave up his $20M a year, I'd bet Boras loses a $1M a year or more per year.  There may be other arrangements like that.  Obviously Davis has made enough that he should be more than okay for the rest of his life.  But you never know just how badly people manage their money, or set up financial arrangements that aren't well considered.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I wonder how much he owes to other people (Boras) out of his annual pay?  If he retired and just gave up his $20M a year, I'd bet Boras loses a $1M a year or more per year.  There may be other arrangements like that.  Obviously Davis has made enough that he should be more than okay for the rest of his life.  But you never know just how badly people manage their money, or set up financial arrangements that aren't well considered.

Who is to judge how Chris has spent all of his money. Who knows what visions he holds...