Tanner Scott 2019

Frobby

Here is Fangraphs blurb where Tanner Scott talks about his slider, to kick off his thread for 2019:

Tanner Scott, Baltimore Orioles

“I started working on a slider when I first got into pro ball. Before that I was curveball. But it wasn’t really a curveball; it just spun. When I was starting in Double-A, and doing three innings at a time, is when I really developed my slider. That’s when I really got the feel for it.

“The grip I use is one that Alan Mills taught me. It’s very basic. My middle finger is a little off the seam. It’s on it so that I can feel it, but not on top of it. I’ve also learned to manipulate my slider. It’s about my release point with my fingers, how I finish the pitch. I can make it breaks two ways. One has more depth and the other is more side to side.

“I guess I do (have a high spin rate on my slider), but I don’t like to look at numbers. I try not to get all analytical. This is a numbers game, yeah. And the numbers do show, but I don’t even like looking back at the radar gun to see how hard the pitch was. When I was younger I’d throw a pitch and look, but over time you learn that whatever number, you can’t get mad about it. If you see a number you don’t like, and try to throw harder … there’s no point to that. Same with my slider. I just need to throw it like I know I can throw it.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/ray-black-tanner-scott-and-matt-strahm-on-learning-and-developing-their-sliders/

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“I guess I do (have a high spin rate on my slider), but I don’t like to look at numbers. I try not to get all analytical. This is a numbers game, yeah. And the numbers do show, but I don’t even like looking back at the radar gun to see how hard the pitch was. When I was younger I’d throw a pitch and look, but over time you learn that whatever number, you can’t get mad about it. If you see a number you don’t like, and try to throw harder … there’s no point to that. Same with my slider. I just need to throw it like I know I can throw it.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/ray-black-tanner-scott-and-matt-strahm-on-learning-and-developing-their-sliders/

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here is Fangraphs blurb where Tanner Scott talks about his slider, to kick off his thread for 2019:

Tanner Scott, Baltimore Orioles

“I started working on a slider when I first got into pro ball. Before that I was curveball. But it wasn’t really a curveball; it just spun. When I was starting in Double-A, and doing three innings at a time, is when I really developed my slider. That’s when I really got the feel for it.

“The grip I use is one that Alan Mills taught me. It’s very basic. My middle finger is a little off the seam. It’s on it so that I can feel it, but not on top of it. I’ve also learned to manipulate my slider. It’s about my release point with my fingers, how I finish the pitch. I can make it breaks two ways. One has more depth and the other is more side to side.

Well now that I think about it I'm not sure I've ever seen Tanner Scott and Chris Davis in the same room together. [rubs chin and rolls eyes upwards]

Players don't need to like or understand the analytical side of the game. They just need to trust that coaches and analysts using data can make them better.

It's the coach/analyst's job to translate meaningful data into understandable cues, strategies, etc. 

o

Last year, Scott had 3 outings in which he came in and struck out all 3 batters that he faced ........ May 6th against the D-Rays, July 5th against the Twins, and August 19th against the Indians.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24012-tanner-scott/&page=20

In those 3 particular outings combined, he threw ........ )36 Pitches )(30 )Strikes, )6 )Balls.)

Also, 48% of the outs that Scott recorded last season (76 out of 160) came via the Strikeout.

IP:llll53.33 )) (160 Outs)

SO:llll76

o

• 2 months later...

I didn’t see a lot of attention paid to Tanner Scott’s relief outing on Saturday — 6 batters, 5 strikeouts, one weak ground out to 2B.   Only 21 pitches in 2 innings, 17 for strikes.    Definitely the most dominant outing I’ve seen from Scott.   

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t see a lot of attention paid to Tanner Scott’s relief outing on Saturday — 6 batters, 5 strikeouts, one weak ground out to 2B.   Only 21 pitches in 2 innings, 17 for strikes.    Definitely the most dominant outing I’ve seen from Scott.   

I think I'd stopped watching at that point.  Honestly, that whole Twins series was a blur this weekend.  It's all mashed together in my head and I just can't remember (really don't want to remember) what happened during what game and when.

That's a really good outing, though.  He's got dominant stuff, for sure and hopefully he can trend towards more performances like these.  

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think I'd stopped watching at that point.  Honestly, that whole Twins series was a blur this weekend.  It's all mashed together in my head and I just can't remember (really don't want to remember) what happened during what game and when.

That's a really good outing, though.  He's got dominant stuff, for sure and hopefully he can trend towards more performances like these.  

He was great, and getting strikes with a lot of offspeed stuff, so his fastball played well when he threw it. Reminded me of Betances.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

The problem is that his box of chocolates has too many pieces of coconut. Yes, he’ll come out and look splendid for four or five batters, and the next time he goes out and gets blasted.

Yes we know you aren't a fan and don't think he's capable of further improvement.

He's got far the best raw stuff.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes we know you aren't a fan and don't think he's capable of further improvement.

He's got far the best raw stuff.

Yes. “Raw”

and of course I want him to do well. And I never said he wasn’t capable of improvement.

But he’s not consistent enough, and hasn’t shown much change over time. Meaningful Improvement is transformative, and not incremental, but even incremental improvement would be welcome. Have you seen any? If so I’m happy to learn about it.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Yes. “Raw”

and of course I want him to do well. And I never said he wasn’t capable of improvement.

But he’s not consistent enough, and hasn’t shown much change over time. Meaningful Improvement is transformative, and not incremental, but even incremental improvement would be welcome. Have you seen any? If so I’m happy to learn about it.

Didn't you suggest they DFA him despite him having options?

As for not showing incremental improvement...

He had a 4.7 BB/9 last season in a maybe useful sample size of 53.1 innings.

In 2016 his minor league BB/9 was 8.0

In 2017 in Bowie it was 6.0

I'm not sure how you see 8>6>4.7 and not see progress.

He's 24, left handed, throws 100 MPH and has a wipeout slider.

You give him all the time he needs.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't you suggest they DFA him despite him having options?

As for not showing incremental improvement...

He had a 4.7 BB/9 last season in a maybe useful sample size of 53.1 innings.

In 2016 his minor league BB/9 was 8.0

In 2017 in Bowie it was 6.0

I'm not sure how you see 8>6>4.7 and not see progress.

He's 24, left handed, throws 100 MPH and has a wipeout slider.

You give him all the time he needs.

No, I never said DFA. Why in the world would we designate someone who has options? I said repeatedly that he should be sent down, but Tony said that as well. I am not a chorus of one.

Archived