The Adam Jones Appreciation Thread

Frobby

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

No, Jonesy never hit one.    And Cakes only did it once.     Random Eutaw Street homer facts:

1.    Opponents have hit far more Eutaw Street homers than the Orioles, 55-43.

2.    O’s leaders: Chris Davis 11, Luke Scott 6, Rafael Palmeiro 5, Brady Anderson 3, Matt Wieters 2, Jay Gibbons 2, Pedro Alvarez 2, Ryan Flaherty 2, Jonathan Villar 2.

3.   Jason Giambi leads opponents with 3.    Ortiz, Granderson, Thome and Dunn had 2 each.   

4.   Aubrey Huff is the only player to hit one both as an Oriole and as an opponent.    Tettleton and Thome both hit homers onto Eutaw Street as an opponent, but never at home.   

5.   Of opposing teams, the Yankees have the most with 9, followed by the Red Sox with 6.    

Details here: https://www.mlb.com/orioles/ballpark/information/eutaw-street#all-time-list

Ryan Flaherty was a power hitter. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, weams said:

That’s one of those stats I hate because it’s so misleading.  

Willie Mays hit 25+ homers 13 years in a row and averaged 39.8 in that span.

Mickey Mantle hit 25+ homers 9 years in a row and averaged 38.6 in that span.   

Andruw Jones hit 25+ homers 10 years in a row and averaged 34.5 in that span    

Adam Jones hit 25+ homers 7 years in a row and averaged 28.7 in that span.     He never once hit as many homers as the others averaged during their streaks, which were 2-6 years longer than his.

In other words, it’s a completely artificial grouping    

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Adam Jones hit 25+ homers 7 years in a row and averaged 28.7 in that span.     He never once hit as many homers as the others averaged during their streaks, which were 2-6 years longer than his.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Graig Nettles has the most 16+ homer seasons among players who were primarily third basemen.

Frank White is tied for the 6th-most seasons with 85 or more hits and 17 or more doubles among second basemen.

Man these don't belong in Adam Jones appreciation threads.  Take your own sad life to another thread. 

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

Man these don't belong in Adam Jones appreciation threads.  Take your own sad life to another thread. 

I started this thread and you’re right, they generally should be reserved for positive thoughts about the player.    I just think that grouping is kind of ridiculous.   

As for your “sad life” comment, just shut up.     That has no place in any  thread.

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's a little misleading, I agree.  No one's confusing Adam Jones with Mickey Mantle.

But what it does do, is appreciate an amount of consistency.  7 years sure is a far cry from what Willie Mays did, this is true, and it doesn't approach what Mays averaged.  But 7 years in a row with 25 homers is nothing to sneeze at.  And anytime you can group yourself with guys like Mays, Mantle, Jones....you do it.  No matter how artificial it is.  

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I started this thread and you’re right, they generally should be reserved for positive thoughts about the player.    I just think that grouping is kind of ridiculous.   

As for your “sad life” comment, just shut up.     That has no place in any  thread.

Really you spend all day on the Internet criticizing the best Oriole player of the last 10 years in his appreciation thread on an Orioles board.  Come one you know your life is sad. 

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's a little misleading, I agree.  No one's confusing Adam Jones with Mickey Mantle.

But what it does do, is appreciate an amount of consistency.  7 years sure is a far cry from what Willie Mays did, this is true, and it doesn't approach what Mays averaged.  But 7 years in a row with 25 homers is nothing to sneeze at.  And anytime you can group yourself with guys like Mays, Mantle, Jones....you do it.  No matter how artificial it is.  

Was gonna say something similar. He is not in the same class as those guys, clearly. But 25+ HRs for 7 straight years as a CF is not meaningless by any stretch, IMO. What the stat shows is that CF often don't hit HR's that consistently (which I think is pretty true), and Adam did during his prime. 

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

I agree Frobby needs help.  Can we just move his posts to another thread.

Frobby's the man.  

Either you're completely serious or doing a magnificent troll job.  I can't tell.  If you're trolling, you picked the wrong dude to troll, Frobby's contributions to this board are tremendous.  If you're serious, you're the one that needs help.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

45 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Was gonna say something similar. He is not in the same class as those guys, clearly. But 25+ HRs for 7 straight years as a CF is not meaningless by any stretch, IMO. What the stat shows is that CF often don't hit HR's that consistently (which I think is pretty true), and Adam did during his prime. 

You guys are both right about that.    One great thing about Adam, he was extremely consistent from year to year, even if he could be very streaky during the season.   Somehow at the end of the season he’d always put up solid numbers.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You guys are both right about that.    One great thing about Adam, he was extremely consistent from year to year, even if he could be very streaky during the season.   Somehow at the end of the season he’d always put up solid numbers.   

Yep. If he ever got off to a bad start, we'd be like "just wait" and sure enough he'd end the year with like 30 bombs.

51 minutes ago, atomic said:

I agree Frobby needs help.  Can we just move his posts to another thread.

No we can't.  Frobby can post pretty whatever he wants, he'll almost always be within the bounds of what's proper.

Adam Jones was a great Oriole for any number of reasons, we all loved him.  But selective grouping where he's compared to Hall of Famers is silly and distracting and disingenuous.  I loved Doug DeCinces when I was a kid, but I wouldn't concoct some list favorably comparing him to Brooks and Mike Schmidt because I know it's not true.

Archived