Trout, 12/430

Moose Milligan

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well deserved.   Per Fangraphs, he’s already been worth $494 mm in 7+ years, so I like his chances of being worth $430 mm over the next 12, even allowing for the fact that the majority of that time he’ll be past his peak.    

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Trout is what Harper thinks he is.  

40 minutes ago, lovetoaster said:

That's such a great statement

Why, has Harper ever said he’s the best player in baseball?    To the contrary, I’m pretty sure I heard him say Trout was the best player in baseball during last year’s all star game.    Harper has an ego but he’s not crazy.  

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep, it looks good for them.  Now, hopefully, they can build around him.  Trout needs to be in the playoffs and he needs a title.  

This.    It would be a shame if he labored on a mediocre team all those years.    

24 minutes ago, weams said:

Sources: Angels, Trout near $430M extension

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26306935

All I've been hearing (not necessarily on this board) for the past couple of years is that the Albert Pujols contract more or less ruined the gigant-O contract for the foreseeable future (meaning the era of the 10-year, Mega Millions contract).  And yet, if the Trout deal is true and gets completed, we will have seen in the past month, the inking of the three largest contracts of all time, including the granddaddy of them all to Trout -- which is being issued by the team that was responsible for the Pujols contract!!!

The next CBA negotiations will be contentious, but the players' allegation that MLB is colluding to keep contracts down is out the window...

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why, has Harper ever said he’s the best player in baseball?    To the contrary, I’m pretty sure I heard him say Trout was the best player in baseball during last year’s all star game.    Harper has an ego but he’s not crazy.  

That's fair. But while he may have never said that he has been the best player in baseball, I do think that ego has been a bit outsized much of the time compared to his production. That's basically where I'm coming from.

I am also willing to admit that I have a little bit of irrational dislike for Harper. Haha.   

I’ll be that guy. I believe this is a bad deal for the Angels. Trout is a great player, but what has he done in the postseason? And is Trout must see TV or is he box office? I’m not taking anything away from his talent, but you didn’t want to miss a Bonds at-bat. I don’t get that vibe with Trout.

5 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Boras said if Harper signed in San Francisco it would have to pay taxes equivalent to a year's salary over the course of his contract. I guess Machado and Trout were OK with that. 

This reminds me of a point.    California has a law that limits the maximum length of employment contracts to 7 years.    As I understand it, that means that if Manny or Trout wanted to get out of their contacts after 7 years, the teams would be unable to enforce them.   I’m neither an employment lawyer nor licensed in California, so don’t take this as gospel.   I read it here: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/how-mike-trout-could-legally-become-a-free-agent/

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This reminds me of a point.    California has a law that limits the maximum length of employment contracts to 7 years.    As I understand it, that means that if Manny or Trout wanted to get out of their contacts after 7 years, the teams would be unable to enforce them.   I’m neither an employment lawyer nor licensed in California, so don’t take this as gospel.   I read it here: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/how-mike-trout-could-legally-become-a-free-agent/

Could the teams get out of the contract after seven years for the same reason?

Archived