TT: Roster takes shape less than a week out (Roster prediction)

Tony-OH

13 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If Alberto makes it, I'm gonna be sick.

But Trumbo on the 60 day IL opens up a 40 spot for Sucre, while opening a 25 spot for Alberto.

Why? He's the best defensive SS option behind Martin and Martin is going to have a very weak stick and will need days off. I'd much rather have him than Escobar. I would have also been fine with Reinheimer but he didn't have to be optioned so if Alberto struggles, you still have Reinheimer to bring up.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Why? He's the best defensive SS option behind Martin and Martin is going to have a very weak stick and will need days off. I'd much rather have him than Escobar. I would have also been fine with Reinheimer but he didn't have to be optioned so if Alberto struggles, you still have Reinheimer to bring up.

I haven't been impressed with his play at all. I believe Reinheimer was a much better option.

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think they could probably get by with Jackson at SS on days that Martin doesn't play. 

Martin is for sure looking like a bust offensively so far. We'll see. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think they could probably get by with Jackson at SS on days that Martin doesn't play. 

Martin is for sure looking like a bust offensively so far. We'll see. 

If Martin plays solid defense I don't think he will be benched for his lack of offense.  

I could see Villar backing up Martin at SS with Jackson playing 2B.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

If Martin plays solid defense I don't think he will be benched for his lack of offense.  

I could see Villar backing up Martin at SS with Jackson playing 2B.

That seems reasonable. I also think they might give Martin a blow every so often to see if a day off helps his offense.

12 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I would rather have kept Steve myself. 

Wilkerson can't play SS effectively. While Jackson can play shortstop, I wouldn't want him out there very often. He's better at 2B and in the outfield.

37 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I haven't been impressed with his play at all. I believe Reinheimer was a much better option.

If we are just going off spring training observations, I would agree, but clearly baseball people seem to disagree since Reinheimer made it through waivers, and Alberto was claimed twice. 

AAA stats
Reinheimer .278/.343/.371/.714 in 1376 PAs
Alberto .309/.330/.438/.768 in in 1000 PAs

Personally I'm fine with either for right now, but since Reinheimer could be sent to the minors without risk of losing him, this is the way to keep both. I think Reinheimer will end up with the some big league time this year. I like him a bit as well.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Wilkerson can't play SS effectively. While Jackson can play shortstop, I wouldn't want him out there very often. He's better at 2B and in the outfield.

Wilkerson didn't get many chances at shortstop. He was mainly second base and then when he got to Frederick his second season, that's they expanded him really into a "utility" role at 3rd, 1st, and outfield.

He has a good arm and glove and probably could of done decent there if they tried. Would of been a better defensive option than Mountcastle was.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If we are just going off spring training observations, I would agree, but clearly baseball people seem to disagree since Reinheimer made it through waivers, and Alberto was claimed twice. 

AAA stats
Reinheimer .278/.343/.371/.714 in 1376 PAs
Alberto .309/.330/.438/.768 in in 1000 PAs

Personally I'm fine with either for right now, but since Reinheimer could be sent to the minors without risk of losing him, this is the way to keep both. I think Reinheimer will end up with the some big league time this year. I like him a bit as well.

Tony, I have not seen you consider Villar as a backup to Martin at SS and Jackson as a backup at 2B.

26 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Wilkerson didn't get many chances at shortstop. He was mainly second base and then when he got to Frederick his second season, that's they expanded him really into a "utility" role at 3rd, 1st, and outfield.

He has a good arm and glove and probably could of done decent there if they tried. Would of been a better defensive option than Mountcastle was.

There is a reason he didn't get opportunities there. Players do get opportunities in practice and in drills. Obviously the coaching staff does not think he can be more than an emergency fill in at SS. As for being better than Mountcastle, of course he would have been, but that's not a high bar to jump over.

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tony, I have not seen you consider Villar as a backup to Martin at SS and Jackson as a backup at 2B.

He certainly can be, and we very well may see him there at times this year. I'd rather have him at SS than Jackson. In fact, Villar-Jackson combo might be the best defensive-offensive combo they have to offer right now. Still, i think Martin is going to get a pretty long leash but if he's making Mark Belanger look like Frank Robinson by June, i think you will see others getting more opportunities.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

He certainly can be, and we very well may see him there at times this year. I'd rather have him at SS than Jackson. In fact, Villar-Jackson combo might be the best defensive-offensive combo they have to offer right now. Still, i think Martin is going to get a pretty long leash but if he's making Mark Belanger look like Frank Robinson by June, i think you will see others getting more opportunities.

Do you think the option of using Villar  as the backup at SS makes Alberto  vulnerable to being DFA'd?

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There is a reason he didn't get opportunities there. Players do get opportunities in practice and in drills. Obviously the coaching staff does not think he can be more than an emergency fill in at SS. As for being better than Mountcastle, of course he would have been, but that's not a high bar to jump over.

You're probably 100% right, but I fully believe that the lack of proper player development in the past seasons in the minors (especially when none of the clubs were on the same page with Baltimore) stunted a LOT of the players. Wilkerson, as a full utility player, being one. They didn't start working with him fully at it until the AFL last season.

Fyi: I know my post is saying "Wilkerson," but it can apply to a LOT of players. Mountcastle, Mullins, pitchers, ect. 

Just venting. Carry on. ?

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Ok. I figured Villar could play SS some. Just wanted a guy with options over someone like Alberto.  

Archived