TT: Roster takes shape less than a week out (Roster prediction)

Tony-OH

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think the problem is Elias is afraid they won't lose 100 games if they play the young players. 

This is a very real possibility. Young players ready to prove themselves might only lose 95 or so games.  Run out Trumbo and Davis and you know what you'll get. 

Being in the AL East, I don't think it's going to take much effort to lose 100 games even if the young players get a chance. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is a very real possibility. Young players ready to prove themselves might only lose 95 or so games.  Run out Trumbo and Davis and you know what you'll get. 

Being in the AL East, I don't think it's going to take much effort to lose 100 games even if the young players get a chance. 

There's no sound explanation for not playing Sisco. Service time isn't an issue. I was able to slightly overlook the Hays demotion, because of service time, but when you look at them both together it's pretty clear that Elias is blatantly giving up on this season before it begins. It also makes me think there's no chance we'll see any of these guys (Diaz an Mountcastle either) this season. I have a real problem with that approach. I don't mind losing, but if the younger players are ready they should play. 

It's also possible that Elias was being truthful when he said:

• Previous years' minor and major league stats mean more than spring training numbers
  • He would err on the side of giving prospects more development time in the minors

To me, the worst part of sending down all the best prospects is that it leaves a really boring team on the field that  isn't going to get better, so there is little reason to watch it.

btw - Has it been confirmed that Sisco is going down or is that still a rumor?

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

There's no sound explanation for not playing Sisco. Service time isn't an issue. I was able to slightly overlook the Hays demotion, because of service time, but when you look at them both together it's pretty clear that Elias is blatantly giving up on this season before it begins. It also makes me think there's no chance we'll see any of these guys (Diaz an Mountcastle either) this season. I have a real problem with that approach. I don't mind losing, but if the younger players are ready they should play. 

I'll forgive this year if most of the young players stay in the minors for a majority of the season, but can't say I will watch many games if it's the retreads playing.

There will be no excuses in 2020 as a number of prospects will be ready to get their shot in the show.

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

It's also possible that Elias was being truthful when he said:

• Previous years' minor and major league stats mean more than spring training numbers
  • He would err on the side of giving prospects more development time in the minors

To me, the worst part of sending down all the best prospects is that it leaves a really boring team on the field that  isn't going to get better, so there is little reason to watch it.

btw - Has it been confirmed that Sisco is going down or is that still a rumor?

It's a cross between "not confirmed" and "rumor."

Calling it a rumor isn't accurate. The REPORTING and quotes are that Sisco could be anywhere from the starter in Baltimore, to starting in Norfolk. Either Hyde or Elias mentioned Sisco getting consistent playing time in Norfolk instead of a split in Baltimore.

I think Hyde and Elias know, but don't want to tip anything yet.

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It's a cross between "not confirmed" and "rumor."

Calling it a rumor isn't accurate. The REPORTING and quotes are that Sisco could be anywhere from the starter in Baltimore, to starting in Norfolk. Either Hyde or Elias mentioned Sisco getting consistent playing time in Norfolk instead of a split in Baltimore.

I think Hyde and Elias know, but don't want to tip anything yet.

Most starting catchers don't play many more than half the games anymore, so I don't think Sisco would see more playing time in Norfolk than he would in Baltimore unless they give him reps at DH and 1B down there.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Most starting catchers don't play many more than half the games anymore, so I don't think Sisco would see more playing time in Norfolk than he would in Baltimore unless they give him reps at DH and 1B down there.

If he goes to Norfolk, he would probably start 4 out of 6 days at catcher and might DH one (or two, with an extra day of not squatting.)

Still more playing time that a split in Baltimore would get, especially at DH.

But...Hyde did mention carrying 3 catchers before. Sucre, Severino, and Sisco (maybe he likes "S" last names?)

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If he goes to Norfolk, he would probably start 4 out of 6 days at catcher and might DH one (or two, with an extra day of not squatting.)

But...Hyde did mention carrying 3 catchers before. Sucre, Severino, and Sisco (maybe he likes "S" last names?)

Maybe they figure that if they're going to draft Rutschman they should get a head start on finding Sisco a new position.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He could take Trumbo's spot if they get rid of Alberto. With Jackson and Nunez, they really don't need another infielder on the active roster.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

He could take Trumbo's spot if they get rid of Alberto. With Jackson and Nunez, they really don't need another infielder on the active roster.

I think there's a chance that Alberto makes the team over Jackson, especially if they think Alberto is a better option at SS.

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I think there's a chance that Alberto makes the team over Jackson, especially if they think Alberto is a better option at SS.

Jackson has done everything asked of him, even backing up CF, and he has hit. Elias should be summarily fired if he lets Jackson get away. Villar can play SS too.

Archived