Who’s your choice for most pleasant surprise of 2019?

Frobby

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, scOtt said:

Agree to disagree then. I think slamming him the the majors to learn might do more harm than good. :noidea:

He's already been up twice before.

He's not a 20 year old skipping AAA.  He's 24, he's got 139 games in AAA over three seasons. 

This will be his fourth stint in AAA.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's not a 20 year old skipping AAA.  He's 24, he's got 139 games in AAA over three seasons. 

And did Jack Schitt.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's actually at or above replacement level for his ML career.  ?

I accept he might be a bust.

But I don't think a fourth year in AAA is going to change anything.

I don't know the breakdown but it's still only 40-several games per year. Give him a full year. It sounds like platitudes but make him hungry. Make him angry.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His first stint was 4 games at the end of the season in 2016. He was in Norfolk for only 38 games last season (about a month and a half.)

It's not like he has been stuck in AAA for 4 full seasons.

Just now, scOtt said:

I don't know the breakdown but it's still only 40-several games per year. Give him a full year. It sounds like platitudes but make him hungry. Make him angry.

Yes, I'm agreeing to disagree.  The goal shouldn't be to piss off your prospects, if that term even still applies to Sisco.

Why isn't Mullins getting the make him angry treatment?  What's he done in the majors?

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

His first stint was 4 games at the end of the season in 2016. He was in Norfolk for only 38 games last season (about a month and a half.)

It's not like he has been stuck in AAA for 4 full seasons.

Do you think he can learn something at AAA he can't learn in the majors?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, I'm agreeing to disagree.  The goal shouldn't be to piss off your prospects, if that term even still applies to Sisco.

Why isn't Mullins getting the make him angry treatment?  What's he done in the majors?

Because we don't have anybody better than Mullins.

Don't mean to start another tangent argument here..... Nobody better that wouldn't be better served by more time in the minors. Completing levels, as it were.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think he can learn something at AAA he can't learn in the majors?

The only thing I can think of is he can get reps everyday, where they would be more likely to platoon him in Baltimore. Let him play 3 or 4 out of every 6 games in Norfolk vs. 2 games a week in Baltimore. 

But his batting also fell off as the Spring wore on. I don't know what pitches he started missing, but maybe they saw something, like he was crushing fastballs early in the Spring but struggled with breaking and off speed stuff once pitchers were "warmed up?"

I really don't know man. If I find someone with ESP, I'll direct them Hyde, Elias, and Mejdals way.

Just now, scOtt said:

Because we don't have anybody better than Mullins.

Don't mean to start another tangent argument here..... Nobody better that wouldn't be better served by more time in the minors. Manipulating service time, as it were.

Fixed that for you.

Or do you think Stewart needs to repeat AAA?

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The only thing I can think of is he can get reps everyday, where they would be more likely to platoon him in Baltimore. Let him play 3 or 4 out of every 6 games in Norfolk vs. 2 games a week in Baltimore. 

But his batting also fell off as the Spring wore on. I don't know what pitches he started missing, but maybe they saw something, like he was crushing fastballs early in the Spring but struggled with breaking and off speed stuff once pitchers were "warmed up?"

I really don't know man. If I find someone with ESP, I'll direct them Hyde, Elias, and Mejdals way.

Sure, fine.

But will more time at AAA fix that?

This is the perfect situation to let him sink or swim.  If they know he's not part of the future they need to trade him.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, fine.

But will more time at AAA fix that?

This is the perfect situation to let him sink or swim.  If they know he's not part of the future they need to trade him.

Well, AAA was the first time he struggled with hitting. They have a new hitting coach and the organization is apparently on the same page now. Maybe they want him working on adjustments and figure the extra reps from constant playing time is better than just cage work and sporadic time.

Archived