The Trey Mancini can really hit thread

Just Regular

I'll start it with this fact courtesy of the Statcast podcast guys.  Mancini's 16 barrels for outs last season tied Nick Castellanos and Marcell Ozuna for the MLB lead.  It's fair to get something extra base hittish on a barreled ball, which is defined as more than X exit velocity and within launch angle band X to Y.  I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head but Tom Tango now of the MLB Statcast crew was part of developing them.

Trey Mancini hit his way to the majors with no other playable skill.  He played zero minor league games as an OF, then tried what his team asked of him, at times hurting himself in the effort.

Today, Trey Mancini is our DH and cleanup hitter.  Godspeed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Trey. His plate coverage is fairly ridiculous, he's got a decent eye, and he hits most everything hard.

His ground ball:fly ball went the opposite direction you'd want it to last season, so hopefully he can correct that. If he does, he'll have a solid year. If he doesn't, well, it doesn't matter! Lol. 

The biggest thing I like about how he hits is his adjustments.

There was a game where he watched film of the pitcher, worked in the cage during the game, came on a pinch hitter and tied the game up with a home run. Then watched more film on the next pitcher, hit in the cage again, and hit the walk off home run.

13 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

There was a game where he watched film of the pitcher, worked in the cage during the game, came on a pinch hitter and tied the game up with a home run. Then watched more film on the next pitcher, hit in the cage again, and hit the walk off home run.

The DH penalty is a real thing that few have mastered.  I think the 26th man next year will make mastery of that skill more valuable for both player and team.  Hearing an anecdote like this is great.  "Figuring Out DH" as a sixth sense with HIT/POWER/RUN/FIELD/THROW might be his third tool.

19 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

That’s a great story! As a teacher my favorite attribute to see in a student is the ability to seek other solutions. Doing more and doing different is a wonderful thing to see.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

Trey Mancini's patience and demeanor at the plate reminds me of Nolan Reimold.

o

They are quite different. Mancini's walk rate is below league average while Nolan's was above average. Mancini hits far more ground balls, less fly balls, and more line drives. Mancini also swings way more often, and swings far more often at balls outside the strike zone. He also swings and misses more. 

They are quite similar in that they are both defensively challenged tall wiry white guys.

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I'll start it with this fact courtesy of the Statcast podcast guys.  Mancini's 16 barrels for outs last season tied Nick Castellanos and Marcell Ozuna for the MLB lead.  It's fair to get something extra base hittish on a barreled ball, which is defined as more than X exit velocity and within launch angle band X to Y.  I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head but Tom Tango now of the MLB Statcast crew was part of developing them.

Trey Mancini hit his way to the majors with no other playable skill.  He played zero minor league games as an OF, then tried what his team asked of him, at times hurting himself in the effort.

Today, Trey Mancini is our DH and cleanup hitter.  Godspeed.

He belongs at First Base and CD needs to be back in Texas fishing. 

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Trey Mancini's patience and demeanor at the plate reminds me of Nolan Reimold.

o

29 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

They are quite different. Mancini's walk rate is below league average while Nolan's was above average. Mancini hits far more ground balls, less fly balls, and more line drives. Mancini also swings way more often, and swings far more often at balls outside the strike zone. He also swings and misses more. 

They are quite similar in that they are both defensively challenged tall wiry white guys

o

In terms of patience and plate demeanor/temperament, they are similar.

Their walk rates may be/have been different, but they both are/were patient in terms of waiting for a pitch that they deemed good to swing at, particularly when they had/have 2 strikes on them.

o

5 hours ago, Babypowder said:

They are quite similar in that they are both defensively challenged tall wiry white guys.

They are also quite different in that Mancini has been as productive in two years as Reimold was in his eight year career.  

I saw Trey with Frederick play a game at Myrtle Beach against the Pelicans.  He had four hits, but it was the sound that the ball made coming off his bat that struck my attention.  Certain players over the years have that kind of barrel sound...and he hit a home run that game to dead center that struck the scoreboard so hard that it shook.   

I said then...this kid can hit.  And a fan ever since.   Hope he has a breakthrough season. 

Archived