The Trey Mancini can really hit thread

Just Regular

4 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Reimold was a legit LF with speed. Mancini is or should be a 1B, with less on base skills, but maybe a better hitter if that makes sense. Take injuries out of the equation and I would pick Reimold for his defensive edge.  

Reimold had good speed and a good arm, but he wasn’t a great judge of fly balls.   He was a better outfielder than Mancini but nothing to write home about.    

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Reimold had good speed and a good arm, but he wasn’t a great judge of fly balls.   He was a better outfielder than Mancini but nothing to write home about.    

Yeah but I still think a massive upgrade over Mancini if your comparing them in the field.

24 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Yeah but I still think a massive upgrade over Mancini if your comparing them in the field.

Reimold: -9 Rtot/yr, -3 Rdrs/yr, -5.8 UZR/150

Mancini: -18 Rtot/yr, -10 Rdrs/yr, -12.5 UZR/150

I do wonder if Mancini’s knee injury slowed him down a bit last year, as he actually did worse than he did in 2017 when he was learning the position.  

52 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I hear you, but of course it's not really a fair comparison. Mancini didn't play a single inning in the outfield as a minor leaguer. 

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

You can look at it that way, but Reimold’s first two years were 2.6 and -0.3, while Manicini’s were 2.3 and -0.1.     (I’m ignoring Mancini’s few games from 2016 here.)    So, pretty similar to this point.    Reimold managed 1.0 and 0.6 the next two seasons — let’s hope Mancini will top that, but he’ll have to prove it.    Injuries derailed Reimold’s career after that and hopefully that won’t happen to Mancini.    In terms of overall skill I do think they’re pretty similar.   But there’s a very good chance that by the end of this year Mancini will have passed Reimold in career PA (right now he’s at 1241 and Reimold ended at 1556).   Staying healthy is a skill.   

14 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Their productivity to this point in Mancini's career are remarkably similar. Mancini 51 doubles and 51 home runs. Reimold 61 doubles and 56 home runs. 308 hits for Mancini, 339 for Reimold. Reimold was much better at drawing walks (150 to 77). Until this thread I had never thought of them as comps because Reimold was way more athletic, a much better runner, etc. Mancini could always hit pretty well, but Reimold seemed a much more complete prospect and as prospects he certainly seemed to have a higher ceiling than Trey. But Reimold had injury problems even in the minors, if I recall. 

o

Thanks for this info, albeit my original comment was solely in regard to the similarities of their patience and their demeanor at the plate, particularly when they had 2 strikes on them ........ there is/was something about the both of them that gave/gives me the impression that the stadium could be on fire, and that wouldn't change their approach toward the task at hand.

o

14 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Thanks for this info, albeit my original comment was solely in regard to the similarities of their patience and their demeanor at the plate, particularly when they had 2 strikes on them ........ there is/was something about the both of them them that gave/gives me the impression that the stadium could be on fire, and that wouldn't change their approach toward the task at hand.

o

Reimold: 4.00 pitches per plate appearance, 23% strikeout rate, .173/.260/.279 with 2 strikes.

Mancini: 3.92 pitches per plate appearance, 24% strikeout rate, .204/.265/.359 with 2 strikes.    

From the first times I saw him hit as a minor leaguer, I loved Mancini's simple, smooth swing.

But I think I remember Luke saying he has a sub-optimal swing path. (My apologies if I misremembered, Luke.) It makes me wonder how much tweaking of each batter's swing plane goes on. If a player is a degree or three off of his optimal plane, do the coaches work with him on getting closer to the ideal? And how does the optimal swing path change according to location of pitches -- high, low, inside, out -- and/or how pitch types break.

Good grief...not the Nolan Reimold obsession again.  I thought that was finally done with when he finally stopped playing...but, nope.  He is almost like the mythical character in The Natural with the lightning bolt bat  to hear it told on this board.

This thread is the “Trey Mancini can really hit thread”...naysayers can go start their own “No, Trey really is a dime a dozen, can’t field, can’t really hit, and is too old” thread...lol 

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Good grief...not the Nolan Reimold obsession again.  I thought that was finally done with when he finally stopped playing...but, nope.  He is almost like the mythical character in The Natural with the lightning bolt bat  to hear it told on this board.

This thread is the “Trey Mancini can really hit thread”... naysayers can go start their own “No, Trey really is a dime a dozen, can’t field, can’t really hit, and is too old” thread...lol 

o

I specifically said that Mancini's patience and demeanor at the plate reminds me of Reimold, particularly when he/they had 2 strikes on them. That belongs in this thread. Other posters extrapolated on it, and spoke more of the overall comparisons between the two.

o

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Apropos of nothing, having watched Mancini more closely lately, for the first time what he looks like has settled in my mind and I can't help seeing Ron Livingston's Peter from Office Space.  The TPS reports must be better this year.

Great shout, that. 

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Apropos of nothing, having watched Mancini more closely lately, for the first time what he looks like has settled in my mind and I can't help seeing Ron Livingston's Peter from Office Space.  The TPS reports must be better this year.

Looks like Trey doesn’t have a case of the Mondays this year. In fact Trey is a straight shooter and has all star written all over him.

Archived