The Silver Lining Report: Game 1/162

interloper

Welcome to my rainbows ?and unicorns ? thread that I am going to force upon you all for

Every.

Single.

Game.

The idea here is that there will obviously be enough threads voicing frustrations and talking about the losing, and I will be participating in those threads as well. However, I cannot do another season like last year where I'm focusing on the negative. I am committed to the process that Elias is enacting and seeing the tiny slivers of good things and/or funny things about this season of Orioles baseball. 

If you're here to tell me this is dumb or wrong or bad or that Davis should be released, surely there is a better use of your time on this earth. If you're here to say "sure, but they did these other things badly" (and I will surely agree with you), I kindly point you to any of the other threads, though I expect this will be mostly ignored. I do not do this to invalidate your own frustrations or despair about this season. I just want to point out the stuff our good good baseball sons have done on the field for each game. Because while I may stretch to find it, there will always be something

And yes: unless the mods find a problem with it, I will be creating a new thread for every single game, give or take extenuating life circumstances. 

Without further ado:

• Trey Mancini: 3-4, 2B, RBI. Likes to DH. 

• Rio Ruiz: good play on a hot shot at 3B, got the O's on the board with a sneaky RBI single up the middle.

• Cedric Mullins: BB, 4.5 pitches/PA to lead the team.

• Joey Rickard: Excellent diving catch on a very shallow ball to RF.

• Richie Martin: Turned a couple of double plays smoothly, looked unfazed out there.

• Dwight Smith Jr.: Handled a number of deep fly balls to LF smoothly, looks like a natural OF.

• Hanser Alberto: Entered the game late and got a hit off Chapman.

• David Hess: Nice max effort stuff out of the 'pen, the only O's pitcher to post a positive WPA.

• Held Tanaka to 5 Ks, 3 of which were Davis, so they put the ball in play against him.

• Errors: 0

• Hits: 8 to the Yankees 9, including 1 off Britton and 1 off Chapman.

• Weird play: Dropped pop-up by Jesus Sucre was turned into a DP against the Yankees who ran into some outs.

• Brandon Hyde: Smooth debut. PH Nunez for Davis against Chapman, a welcome sign that Davis will only be put in positions he is most likely to succeed. Yanked Cashner at the right time, I thought, while still getting about as much as you could from him. Got through what was a sure loss without warming up or using Givens, Bleier, or Castro. Got every batter into the game other than Pedro Severino. 

• Gary Thorne: "Better his wife than mine!" I don't even remember what they were talking about.

• Mike Elias aviator game: Strong. 

See you for Game 2. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interloper...this is the best idea I’ve seen in quite a while. Refreshing. Thank you for doing this.

How about Alberto contributing late? I never thought he would get on base in that situation. Also the dropped pop up converted into a double play!

Just now, Answerman said:

Interloper...this is the best idea I’ve seen in quite a while. Refreshing. Thank you for doing this.

How about Alberto contributing late? I never thought he would get on base in that situation. Also the dropped pop up converted into a double play!

Yeah! Two good ones. I'll add them to the OP. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've also added that Hyde managed to get every batter into the game other than the backup catcher, Severino. 

I am sure Severino will be in one of the next two games. By Sunday, I can see every pitcher and position player getting into at least one game. The Oriole players won't be as tired in September this year. At least the position players.

Archived