The rise and fall on the O's starting pitching

wildcard

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not making accusations.  I am predicting what I think will happen based on what happened in Houston.   

Here's what you said:

I didn't learn the Elias does not consider ST numbers.  I learned that he is watching his prospects service time closely.  That is why I think he sent Hay, Diaz and Santander down.

Reads like an accusation to me.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

We just see it differently. For me the service clock argument makes little sense because Diaz is probably the only position prospect for whom it will matter. The other prospects are fine as far as Orioles prospects go, but none of them is the next Bregman.

You could make a case for Hays based off of his 2016-2017.

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

We just see it differently. For me the service clock argument makes little sense because Diaz is probably the only position prospect for whom it will matter. The other prospects are fine as far as Orioles prospects go, but none of them is the next Bregman.

Baseball America has rated Hays as high a #21 prospect.  Higher than Diaz at #37.  Bregman was never rated by BA higher the #42.

Just now, wildcard said:

That is an observation.   Accusations are if I thought Elias was doing something wrong. Which I don't.

By stating that you didn't learn from his statements  how he valued spring training numbers vs. in-season numbers, you accused him of concealing his true thoughts on the subject.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Then you are calling him a liar or not paying attention. He has stated several times that players were not sent down due to service time. He has also been quoted numerous times saying that he has learned over the years that in-season numbers in the majors and minors are more predictive of future production than spring training numbers.

If you aren't going to accept what he says when you have no proof to the contrary, why should anyone take you seriously?

Regarding calling Mike a liar, I don’t remember the exact circumstances but wasn’t Mike publicly denying that Hyde Had been hired while the TV screen behind him was announcing that he had been?

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Regarding calling Mike a liar, I don’t remember the exact circumstances but wasn’t Mike publicly denying that Hyde Had been hired while the TV screen behind him was announcing that he had been?

Had the contract been signed by all parties? If not, he was protecting the organization's ass until there was a signed contract.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Had the contract been signed by all parties? If not, he was protecting the organization's ass until there was a signed contract.

Like I said, I don’t remember the exact circumstances, but it’s a different thing to publicly deny something, which is a concrete statement, and to say, “I can’t talk about that right now”

It’s possible he was expressing the exact letter of the law, so to speak, because the contract hadn’t been signed, therefore the hiring was not official, therefore he had not been hired. But that’s rather tenuous.

I’m not saying, I’m not even suggesting that he did anything wrong, but at first blush, it doesn’t look that good.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

His job isn't to be honest to the media and the fans.

On the contrary, I think he is under no obligation to say anything at all. But I think that he is under a large obligation to be honest when he makes a specific statement. 

He doesn’t have to say anything, but if he does, it should be the truth. 

Archived