Villar and baseball IQ

ChuckS

I think we are learning why the Brewers were so willing to include him as a throw in a trade for a seemingly comparable player.

Villar certainly has some Tim Beckham and Melvin Mora to his game. We are going to have to take the good and bad with him. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mdbdotcom said:

For such a talented player he makes a lot of mistakes. Running into Mancini's hit in NY, getting picked off 2B tonight and cutting in front of Alberto to turn a ground ball out into a hit, also tonight. Have I missed any?

Running into Mancinis hit seemed much more like bad luck than a “mistake.”

31 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I think we are learning why the Brewers were so willing to include him as a throw in a trade for a seemingly comparable player.

Villar certainly has some Tim Beckham and Melvin Mora to his game. We are going to have to take the good and bad with him. 

Was thinking about posting something like this earlier tonight. Definitely taking the good with the bad, as he is an exciting player that does a lot of good things. But there are going to be plays where you’re left shaking your head (the play on the grounder tonight was kind of comically bad). 

I do agree with theocean’s take above too; the kind of player with energy that’s nice to see on what will be a lousy team.

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Aggressive plays are one thing. I hate to see him picked off for not having his head in the game though. 

I think that's a little unfair. He got back in time and his foot just slipped off the bag. 

I think the positives grossly outweigh the negatives, and not for nothing but I think if you are going to go after someone's baseball IQ, you need to be rigorous and not just throw out a couple times he might've been stupid.  Pickoffs happen.  I don't think he's particularly baseball IQ-less.

I'm very pleasantly surprised by how lopsided that trade was.

1 hour ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Was thinking about posting something like this earlier tonight. Definitely taking the good with the bad, as he is an exciting player that does a lot of good things. But there are going to be plays where you’re left shaking your head (the play on the grounder tonight was kind of comically bad). 

I do agree with theocean’s take above too; the kind of player with energy that’s nice to see on what will be a lousy team.

Why so sure?

4 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Why so sure?

I’m definitely having fun this week, but I’d still be shocked if we win more than 65 games this year. Probably should’ve/could’ve included the term “probably” in that statement. Obviously hope we continue to surprise.

Archived