Villar and baseball IQ

ChuckS

13 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I really think Villar got unlucky slipping off the base (he got back in time) and Mancini's line drive hitting him. I think he has the opposite of low baseball IQ. He's great at stealing bases even though he isn't especially fast and he's been able to consistently hit to the opposite field. That seems like high baseball IQ to me.

I'm not a fan of the base stealing focus. But he's pretty good at it. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

Yeah a couple of examples of bad luck could be just that. I never saw him play for Milwaukee so I don’t know if he had plays like this for them frequently but agree with your take. He could be a decent player for us. I wouldn’t have him in the long term plans but definitely as someone who can contribute in the meantime and get a good return on at some point.

Tony says he loses focus, and I respect his opinions. I've just not seen it myself. 

3 hours ago, weams said:

To compare this Villar stuff to Beckham is nonsense. And I liked Beckham. 

Well, I guess it depends on your view. I would disagree with someone calling Villar a low IQ player, but would agree that he shows lapses of judgement at times, particularly on the base paths.

Would it mean I would not want him on my team even if I was contending, absolutely not. I'm honestly shocked the Orioles were able to get him and two "prospects" for Schoop.

I like Villar as a player, but doesn't mean there aren't parts of game he is weaker at than others, and I've observed several mental lapses last year and this year that do remind of a player like Melvin Mora (who was my favorite Orioles of that ERA).

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, I guess it depends on your view. I would disagree with someone calling Villar a low IQ player, but would agree that he shows lapses of judgement at times, particularly on the base paths.

Would it mean I would not want him on my team even if I was contending, absolutely not. I'm honestly shocked the Orioles were able to get him and two "prospects" for Schoop.

I like Villar as a player, but doesn't mean there aren't parts of game he is weaker at than others, and I've observed several mental lapses last year and this year that do remind of a player like Melvin Mora (who was my favorite Orioles of that ERA).

Reminds me more of De Aza then Beckham. Has some real head-shaking moments.

3 hours ago, bobmc said:

Does that "bump up" his ⚾ IQ?   I'm thinking yes!  HIs IQ looked good yesterday!  

Yes. Getting good reads off pitchers is part of baseball IQ. Again, I think he has more lapses of judgment then having poor baseball IQ.

Archived