I thought I'd miss the veterans... but...

Todd-O

Heading into this season, I was all about the O's bringing back - at the minimum - Adam Jones, to help usher in the new era and teach the young guys the ropes.  But, these last few days have changed my opinion.  Perhaps that change is fueled by some early wins, but I think it's good to see these young players have their feet put to the fire without a bonafide vet there to rely on.  It's them or no one.

I like that.

Also, I've come to the realization that the O's had to flush the old to usher in a completely new game plan and in-game strategy. It's almost ashamed that Trumbo is destined to return.   And Davis... ugh... it sure would be nice to see him get moved.

I'm not looking forward to Trumbo coming back and odds are, he may not. He's not going to be able to build any trade value with the limited time he'll be back and he doesn't really jive with the current energy on this team.

Even Davis at least contributes defensively. Trumbo will just clog up the DH and force Mancini to the field more than we'd like. 

15 minutes ago, Todd-O said:

Heading into this season, I was all about the O's bringing back - at the minimum - Adam Jones, to help usher in the new era and teach the young guys the ropes.  But, these last few days have changed my opinion.  Perhaps that change is fueled by some early wins, but I think it's good to see these young players have their feet put to the fire without a bonafide vet there to rely on.  It's them or no one.

I like that.

Also, I've come to the realization that the O's had to flush the old to usher in a completely new game plan and in-game strategy. It's almost ashamed that Trumbo is destined to return.   And Davis... ugh... it sure would be nice to see him get moved.

The Orioles are not really that young right now. Just guys who have not had that much playing time mostly. Catchers are 31 and 26 years old. Three of the four outfielders are 27,27 and 28 years old.Drew Jackson is three years older then Gleyber Torres.The pitching has many older guys. Cobb is 31,Cashner is 33,Bleier is 32,Karns is 32, Givens and Wright are 29 years old. The youth movement may get going later in the year. But you still might have Davis and Trumbo , who are both 33 years old. 

23 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Every time Ruiz makes a great stop to his right and then his throw to first is late, I can't help but think of Manny. 

Why?  It's not like Manny was playing 3rd base last year anyhow.  I miss the 3rd base Manny.  The shortstop Manny, not so much.  

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

Why?  It's not like Manny was playing 3rd base last year anyhow.  I miss the 3rd base Manny.  The shortstop Manny, not so much.  

Why would I miss anything about last year? But in reference to Manny, by the time he was traded he was a pretty damn good shortstop again, just as he had been in Bowie.

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The Orioles are not really that young right now. Just guys who have not had that much playing time mostly. Catchers are 31 and 26 years old. Three of the four outfielders are 27,27 and 28 years old.Drew Jackson is three years older then Gleyber Torres.The pitching has many older guys. Cobb is 31,Cashner is 33,Bleier is 32,Karns is 32, Givens and Wright are 29 years old. The youth movement may get going later in the year. But you still might have Davis and Trumbo , who are both 33 years old. 

Our average batter age is 3rd youngest in MLB, pitcher 12th. Seems young to me even if we have a few old folks. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2019-misc.shtml

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Every time Ruiz makes a great stop to his right and then his throw to first is late, I can't help but think of Manny. 

I agree that last nights play, where Ruiz went into foul territory to get the ball, spin and throw, was vintage Manny, except for the throw itself, which just didn’t have enough on it. 

A noble effort!

but not Manny...

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

Nope sure wasn't. Richie is a better shortstop. 

Of course Manny last played 3rd for us over a year and a half ago.

Every time Manny has a temper tantrum, or otherwise acts like a douche, I will be glad he’s gone. Some guys are just not worth the drama, no matter the talent. 

Ruiz is not spectacular, but he has been very solid. Above average defensively, and I am frankly pleasantly surprised. I’ll take him. There is much more there in the bat. He’s going to break out and be a very astute pick up. 

Archived