Decent starting pitching would make the season a lot more fun

Frobby

Alex Cobb’s 5.2 inning, 2 ER performance was the third straight excellent to decent start by our “true” starting pitchers.    And while the outcome today was painful, the game was interesting due to Cobb’s effort.     

This season will be a lot more interesting if we get some decent starts on a regular basis.     The offense may still be insufficient and the bullpen may let some potential games get away, but at least we’d be interested in the games into the late innings.    I’m hoping we see a lot more starts like these last three.

The offense is going to be bad pretty no matter what.  The starting pitching could be.......okay.  Cobb, Bundy, and Cashner have all shown the ability to be average or better pitchers over the last few seasons.  Hess has looked good going back to the second half of last season and then we have a number of guys in the high minors capable of starting in the bigs at some point this season.  There is a good chance at least one of them will have some success.  

Im most worried about Bundy right now. Cashner and now Cobb impressed me quite a bit with their starts compared to how they started the season last year. Hess also looked really impressive. Brocail is looking like a keeper as pitching coach.  

Too soon to tell with anyone. We have to go on their long term track record until we have a strong sense of genuine progress.

Thats why I think Wright should be gone. A bad pitcher can have a good couple innings and still be bad, and he’s shown very consistent badness for long enough to know that’s just who he is.

Archived