Outfield positioning

Frobby

It seems to me the new regime is positioning the outfielders deeper than in the past.    There have been a number of liners near the wall that have been caught, and yet I can think of two very high pop flies that landed in the Bermuda Triangle despite a very long hang time.    It may have just been the situation (both the pop flies were in the 9th inning with the O’s protecting a lead), but I still think in general all the OF’s seem to be deeper a lot of the time (not just the CF so it’s not just a Jones thing).    Anybody else seeing this?

Not that it’s very meaningful in a 7-game sample, but the O’s have allowed only 9 doubles/triples in 7 games, compared to 359 in 162 last year.    

o

The first thing that always comes to my mind when I hear or read the phrase "outfield positioning" is Frank Robinson being given major compliments from the ABC announcers for his job as the coach who positioned the Orioles' outfielders throughout the game.

And speaking of the announcers for the 1979 World Series, Jim Palmer had (prematurely) agreed to do the games for ABC four months earlier, in June ........ to which Earl Weaver replied, "I'm fine if he announces Games 2, 3, 5, and 6, but he has to pitch Games 1, 4, and 7."

o

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It seems to me the new regime is positioning the outfielders deeper than in the past.    There have been a number of liners near the wall that have been caught, and yet I can think of two very high pop flies that landed in the Bermuda Triangle despite a very long hang time.    It may have just been the situation (both the pop flies were in the 9th inning with the O’s protecting a lead), but I still think in general all the OF’s seem to be deeper a lot of the time (not just the CF so it’s not just a Jones thing).    Anybody else seeing this?

Not that it’s very meaningful in a 7-game sample, but the O’s have allowed only 9 doubles/triples in 7 games, compared to 359 in 162 last year.    

Positioning matters less when your top speed is “molasses” and your routes are “Family Circus” 

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

oAnd speaking of the announcers for the 1979 World Series, Jim Palmer had (prematurely) agreed to do the games for ABC four months earlier, in June ........ to which Earl Weaver replied, "I'm fine if he announces Games 2, 3, 5, and 6, but he has to pitch Games 1, 4, and 7."

o

Why did you have to bring '79 up?  Those damn f-ing whistles.  And Sister Sludge on top of that.  UGH!

4 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

Why did you have to bring '79 up?  Those damn f-ing whistles.  And Sister Sludge on top of that.  UGH!

And the tv cameras constantly panning to the Pirate players' wives, and Howard Cosell... being Howard Cosell.:S 

Archived