You make the call

wildcard

Yesterday in the 2nd inning Hanser Alberto fielded a ball on the run and fired to Rio Ruiz at first.  Ruiz is not experienced at first and he came off the bag to make the play and then missed the runner with the tag.   Alberto was charged with an error and the inning got extended with 5 runs scoring.

My question is do you think Davis or Mancini would have got an out on that play?   Here is the video.  Its the second play on the video.

https://www.mlb.com/athletics/video/a-s-score-5-in-the-2nd-inning?t=t133-default-vtp

What do you think?

Missed the game, was wondering how Means ended up with 4 unearned runs. 

Davis probably not just because his glove is on the wrong hand.  Mancini maybe?  Regardless, Alberto needs to make a better throw there.  Throws like that do make me miss Manny. 

1 minute ago, murph said:

Davis probably not just because his glove is on the wrong hand.  Mancini maybe?  Regardless, Alberto needs to make a better throw there.  Throws like that do make me miss Manny. 

Davis throws with his right hand, just like Ruiz.

7 minutes ago, murph said:

This.

To me this play is all about Ruiz jumping.  It does not look like he needed to jump to catch the ball.  If he keeps his feet on the ground  I think he makes that tag.  

I think both Davis and Mancini with their experience at 1B would know that and have made the play. 

I agree that Alberto should have made a better throw but first baseman save fielder errors all the time.   I think that could have happened on this play with a different first baseman.

The slide was very good, but I think Mancini and Davis are both tall enough(you can’t coach 6 foot three)they wouldn’t have had to jump for the throw and therefore the tag would have been easy or unnecessary.

so Yes, either of them would have made the play. Putting Alberto at 3 wasn’t necessarily a bad idea, but Mancini should have been at first.

BTW Martin’s work on the previous play was outstanding even though he didn’t get the runner.

hes a really good shortstop.

41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the O's first baseman makes that play its a different ball game.  Only one run would have scored.   Later  in the game we may have seen Givens and/or Fry instead of Bleier and Castro.

If Eddie Murray's hand hadn't come off the bat in Game 7 the Orioles would have won the 1979 World Series.

Archived