1/10th of the way through O's on pace for 61-101

wildcard

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Cashner is not comparable with Brach.   Starter vs reliever.  Brach had a terrible year with  O's in 2018.  His ERA at the time of the trade was 4.58.  If Cashner pitches poorly he will have no trade value but that is not what is happening so far in April.

That is not what is happening? How would you define an ERA of 5.31 (35th amongst qualified A.L. starters) along with a WHIP of 1.623 (59th)?

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know, 2017 is the outlier with him, for sure.  His FIP in 2017 was 4.61.  

He's not a 3.40 guy, for sure.  I see little reason that he can throw to a 4.5 ERA.  You're right, at 3 million it's not bad for 2 months at the end of the season...but if you're a fan of a playoff contending team and you swing a trade for Andrew Cashner, what's your initial reaction?

That he is better than Saunders who put the O's in the playoffs.

Just now, wildcard said:

OK, but he is pitching better.

Well he won't be when we trade him to a team and Brocail isn't around to help make changes.  The Brocail factor has to be taken into consideration here.  Maybe if we throw Brocail into the trade we can get an additional prospect back? 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well he won't be when we trade him to a team and Brocail isn't around to help make changes.  The Brocail factor has to be taken into consideration here.  Maybe if we throw Brocail into the trade we can get an additional prospect back? 

I don't think contending teams will think their pitching coach is not as good as Brocail.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cashner isn't a legit starter on a 47 win team, I'm not sure how he's a 5th starter on a playoff team.

Scratch that. I had it in my head that Cashner had an ERA of 4.50, he’s over 5 again. 

I don’t think you can trade Cashner unless he can pitch to an ERA of around 4.50.

He’s not good and probably can best provide value by being an innings eater for the Orioles. 

The Padres are the team I am watching the most they have a ton of talent in the minors and if they stay in it will need some pitching.  They are talking with Kuechel so hoping he goes elsewehere and they need a starter.  The other key piece for them could be Givens. They have ton of pitching and middle infield talent in lower levels that will be blocked by Machado, Tatis, Urias for years to come.  

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Scratch that. I had it in my head that Cashner had an ERA of 4.50, he’s over 5 again. 

I don’t think you can trade Cashner unless he can pitch to an ERA of around 4.50.

He’s not good and probably can best provide value by being an innings eater for the Orioles. 

What he had last year will not matter in July if he is pitching better this season.

34 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

A good offensive team might.  Cashier is pretty consistent he won’t be shut down guy but gets you 5 or 6 innings and gives up 3 runs.  Look at his record over career when getting 3 runs or more 40-11 as a starter.  He may not look pretty and dominant but get him some runs and he wins games.  

He pitched in San Diego most of his career.    Great pitcher’s park.   Not OPACY.

Archived