More Severino please

ChuckS

Neither player has ever hit at the Major League level but both Sucre and Severino are plus defensively, so I'm of the opinion that I rather see the player with more offensive upside get the lion's share of at bats and that is Severino.  

In all likelihood, both players are backups at best but there could be a little juice in Severino's bat. Severino is only 25 with just 300 major league at bats so theoretically there is some room for improvement where as Sucre has over 700 at bats and is 31 year old. 

I'd like to see Severino get at least 2/3 of the at bats going forward and in a lost season where the younger talent should be featured it doesn't make sense to have a 31 year old career backup like Sucre being the primary starter. 

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Sucre and Severino are both plus defensively, so I'm of the opinion that I rather see the player with more offensive upside get the lion's share of at bats and that is Severino.  

In all likelihood, both players are backups at best but there could be a little juice in Severino's bat. Severino is only 25 with just 300 major league at bats so theoretically there is some room for improvement where as Sucre has over 700 at bats and is 31 year old. 

I'd like to see Severino get at least 2/3 of the at bats going forward and in a lost season where the younger talent should be featured it doesn't make sense to have a 31 year old career backup like Sucre being the primary starter. 

But does he publicly berate pitches who miss their spots?

That's the type of on the field leadership a young team needs.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is that why you think Sucre is getting most of the starts?  I figured it was because Sucre got more time with the pitchers during Spring Training.  You would think it should be at least a 50/50 timeshare.  

Really, I'd like to get rid of Sucre so we could get Wynns or Sisco up here.  We don't need two catchers with the exact same profile.  

Just now, ChuckS said:

Is that why you think Sucre is getting most of the starts?  I figured it was because Sucre got more time with the pitchers during Spring Training.  I figure it should be at least a 50/50 timeshare.  

Really, I'd like to get rid Sucre so we could get Wynns or Sisco up here.  We don't need two catchers with the exact same profile.  

No.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I’m glad you mentioned this. Thought I was the only one who noticed. There’s a difference between mentoring a young staff and overstepping. Bundy didn’t look happy with Sucre the other day.

I’m not crazy about all the hand gesturing and facial expressions. It borders on showing up your own guys.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’m glad you mentioned this. Thought I was the only one who noticed. There’s a difference between mentoring a young staff and overstepping. Bundy didn’t look happy with Sucre the other day.

I’m not crazy about all the hand gesturing and facial expressions. It borders on showing up your own guys.

It's been discussed.  Some posters like it, think it's "tough love".  I think Frobby asked if the pitchers be allowed to make gestures when Sucre has a poor at bat.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's been discussed.  Some posters like it, think it's "tough love".  I think Frobby asked if the pitchers be allowed to make gestures when Sucre has a poor at bat.

Just talk it over when you’re back in the dugout. I don’t need tough love from a journeyman catcher. 

10 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Just talk it over when you’re back in the dugout. I don’t need tough love from a journeyman catcher. 

Allright meat, show him your heat.
[Walks back towards the box]
Crash Davis: [To the batter] Fast ball comin'.

11 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I like it. Pitchers are way too soft nowadays. The problem with our starters isn’t Sucre, it’s their own lack of talent. 

Has anyone read the Bundy thread?  I think we’re all frustrated with him. 

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think I remember one of Wright's early appearances, where he kept shaking off Sucre. Wright then got blasted, and afterwards was complaining about the pitches being called. I don’t remember it in any detail, but it seemed as if Wright were blaming Sucre for his own insistence on the wrong pitches.

if I’m remembering that correctly, Sucre has every reason to be annoyed.

I like Severino and I like Sucre. I think some folks are wildly misinterpreting/overblowing Sucre's mannerisms back there, and tend to overlook the support he shows when the pitcher does well. 

That said, I would love to see Severino get more starts simply for the fact that he's younger and has more upside. And, you know, also because hit a 400+ foot rocket into the back rows yesterday.

Archived