Alex Wells 2019

Frobby

11 minutes ago, weams said:

I'd LOVE it.  But if it were easy, everyone would do it. 

Everyone??

The Orioles and Davis have discussed sending him to a hitting school, but that probably won’t happen.

“We’ve talked about it,” he said. “They basically left it in my hands. They said, ‘If this something you want to do, we’ll do everything we can to help.’ I’m 33. I’ll be 34 in March … I’m on the backside of my career. I don’t think there’s going to be a massive swing overhaul where I’m changing mechanically. That’s not going to happen.

1 minute ago, John Welch said:

Everyone??

The Orioles and Davis have discussed sending him to a hitting school, but that probably won’t happen.

“We’ve talked about it,” he said. “They basically left it in my hands. They said, ‘If this something you want to do, we’ll do everything we can to help.’ I’m 33. I’ll be 34 in March … I’m on the backside of my career. I don’t think there’s going to be a massive swing overhaul where I’m changing mechanically. That’s not going to happen.

Not everyone. Everyone who has not already cashed in. Is that better? 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John Welch said:

Everyone??

Regarding statements like that, it's almost like he is daring the Orioles to do something about this all. Talking as if he will Pujols off into the sunset in four years. Describing himself as a aging player and the problem is that Oriole decided to bank on one.  He's not all wrong. 

Just now, weams said:

Regarding statements like that, it's almost like he is daring the Orioles to do something about this all. Talking as if he will Pujols off into the sunset in four years. Describing himself as a aging player and the problem is that Oriole decided to bank on one.  He's not all wrong. 

But lets keep this Wells. He is such a nice young pitcher.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Not everyone. Everyone who has not already cashed in. Is that better? 

Maybe everyone who isn't stubborn

When I asked Cardinals hitters how much they took advantage of the new technology offered them — including Blast motion sensors, K-vests and high-speed video — the reactions seemed to range from outright lack of interest (Harrison Bader) to tepid curiosity (Paul Goldschmidt and Paul DeJong). DeJong toyed with the motion sensors (which fit onto the knob of the bat). Goldschmidt recalled using the K-vests a time or two.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, weams said:

If he is, hypothetically, the Orioles 8th best young pitcher according to the Hangout Prospect list that's pretty good. Or even tenth best.  Hypothetically. 

He is nearly 100% certain to make it to the majors, I’d say.    The question is, will he have a better career than Garrett Olson?   I hope so.

As an aside, I just looked at Olson’s stats.   His annual ERA progression went like this: 7.79, 6.65, 5.60, 4.54, 2.08 .... 108.00.   He kind of had things moving in the right direction there for a while!  (Full disclosure: in those last two seasons he pitched 4.1 and 0.1 innings. ?)

Just now, Frobby said:

He is nearly 100% certain to make it to the majors, I’d say.    The question is, will he have a better career than Garrett Olson?   I hope so.

As an aside, I just looked at Olson’s stats.   His annual ERA progression went like this: 7.79, 6.65, 5.60, 4.54, 2.08 .... 108.00.   He kind of had things moving in the right direction there for a while!  (Full disclosure: in those last two seasons he pitched 4.1 and 0.1 innings. ?)

I just grabbed my elbow when you said that. 

• Haha 1

Wells is a guy who could very likely pull a Charlie Morton and throw harder just by trying to throw harder. It’s such a low effort delivery. But then the question is does that effect his release, does his command diminish, does it affect his feel for his other pitches?

• Upvote 1