Really stupid stuff

wildcard

There may be reasons for these moves that I am not aware of but these things seem pretty basic to me.

1) Alex Cobb should have had a rehab game at Bowie or Frederick before returning from the IL.   He looked rusty.   I know he had a sim game but that is not the same thing. He had not pitching in a MLB game for 16 days.

2)  Promote Yefry Ramirez instead of Branden Kline.  Ramirez was ready for the promotion and could probably have stayed and let the O's send one of the other struggling pitchers to Norfolk.

3) Demote Castro instead on Lucas.   Castro needs to go find his control.  Lucas was pitching better than Castro.

4) Don't use your 23m first baseman to pitch.  He is just beginning to play better.  No reason to give him another reason to slump.   Alberto was available if Hyde needed to use a position player.

This is another one the that I don't like though its not on the same level as the others. 

Stop using Ruiz and Nunez at first when Mancini and Davis are available.   They are no where near as good defensively.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cobb can't put up a 2.56 ERA in Bowie.

Why have him rehab in the lower minors when AAA uses the same balls as the majors now?

No reason at all not to reward Kline with a ML debut.

Cobb would not have to travel far to play at Bowie and Frederick and he could knock the rust of there just as well as Norfolk.  But if you want to send him to Norfolk that would be fine.

No reason?  No reason other than Ramirez is pitching better at AAA than Kline  (0.00 ERA vs 8.53 ERA) and Ramirez  has much more MLB and AAA experience than Kline.  Kline has 6.1 innings at AAA.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Cobb would not have to travel far to play at Bowie and Frederick and he could knock the rust of there just as well as Norfolk.  But if you want to send him to Norfolk that would be fine.

No reason?  No reason other than Ramirez is pitching better at AAA than Kline  (0.00 ERA vs 8.53 ERA) and Ramirez  has much more MLB and AAA experience than Kline.  Kline has 6.1 innings at AAA.

Norfolk isn't exactly far.  He'd have five days to get back.

He was the 26th man for one game.  His job was to eat innings so a position player wouldn't have to.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Norfolk isn't exactly far.  He'd have five days to get back.

He was the 26th man for one game.  His job was to eat innings so a position player wouldn't have to.

Ok. Ok with Norfolk already.

If eating innings was the task then Ramirez is prepared to go more innings than Kline.

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There may be reasons for these moves that I am not aware of but these things seem pretty basic to me.

1) Alex Cobb should have had a rehab game at Bowie or Frederick before returning from the IL.   He looked rusty.   I know he had a sim game but that is not the same thing. He had not pitching in a MLB game for 16 days.

2)  Promote Yefry Ramirez instead of Branden Kline.  Ramirez was ready for the promotion and could probably have stayed and let the O's send one of the other struggling pitchers to Norfolk.

3) Demote Castro instead on Lucas.   Castro needs to go find his control.  Lucas was pitching better than Castro.

4) Don't use your 23m first baseman to pitch.  He is just beginning to play better.  Not reason to give him another reason to slump.   Alberto was available if Hyde needed to use a position player.

This is another one the that I don't like though its not on the same level as the others. 

Stop using Ruiz and Nunez at first when Mancini and Davis are available.   They are no where near as good defensively.

1 - agreed

2 - or just cut Mike Wright and bring up Yefry

3 - does it really matter?

4 - see #3

24 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

1 - agreed

4 - see #3

I am fine with DFAing Wright.  Now we have to wait 5 days because Ramirez started at AAA.

I think getting Castro straighten out should be a priority.  Let him go to AAA, figure it out and have some success.  Then bring him back up.

We will see if it matters with Davis.  We don't know yet.

22 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

1 - agreed

4 - see #3

Sadly, no.    Also I think WC is playing Monday morning QB on the Cobb move — where was this criticism before he got bombed?   WC did suggest a Ramirez call-up beforehand so I’ll give him that one.  

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am fine with DFAing Wright.  Now we have to wait 5 days because Ramirez started at AAA.

I think getting Castro straighten out should be a priority.  Let him go to AAA, figure it out and have some success.  Then bring him back up.

We will see if it matters with Davis.  We don't know yet.

My guess is they want Ramirez in the Norfolk rotation staying on schedule. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sadly, no.    Also I think WC is playing Monday morning QB on the Cobb move — where was this criticism before he got bombed?   WC did suggest a Ramirez call-up beforehand so I’ll give him that one.  

Do I have to tell you everything?   It should be a normal  practice to send guys out for rehab assignments when they go on the IL.   I didn't say anything because I gave Elias/Hyde  credit for know what was best.   But.........

Just now, wildcard said:

For what?  The O's have six starters.   They need Ramirez in the O's pen.

No they don’t. This team is awful. 

Teams always want to keep options at AAA. Who knows when the next guy gets hurt or is ineffective. Let Yefry pitch every 5 days in AAA. This team is losing 100 games whether Ramirez is in pen or not. 

I don’t really care if they put him in pen or not but I can see logic of keeping him ready at AAA. They may not be looking to gain some small advantages in Baltimore and may be looking at having him be a real option to start.  

If this was a contender they would operate differently.  

Archived