Really stupid stuff

wildcard

22 hours ago, theocean said:

I think they rushed him back because they're desperate for innings. The entire staff is already running on fumes and April isn't even over.  They need to stop putting position players on the mound, it's not fair to anybody.

My biggest complaint with Elias is he didn't do much to put together enough pitching depth to get to the season. I'm all for taking things down to the studs, but Elias maybe took out a load-bearing stud by accident here and there.

You say the entire staff is running on fumes but they should stop putting postion players on the mound.  Those 2 things are very related.

I have said that many times that  Elias did not do his job during the off-season. He needed to sign some guys who could pitch major league innings.   He basically didn't do anything.  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/21/2019 at 9:22 AM, eddie83 said:

Why disrupt a starter in the minors for one and done call up?

If they have hopes for Yefry you can make a strong argument that keeping him at AAA is more meaningful than being a long man in the majors.  

I think this is the key to the move from Elias' standpoint. He's made it very clear that he doesn't like to disrupt starter's routines.  

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't understand this statement.  You have a game where the leverage index is zero - no team, or almost no team, in major league history has ever overcome that kind of deficit.  The game is all but over.  Why burn even a mopup man in that situation when you can use a position player?  What's the downside?  That they lose 19-4 instead of 15-4, and the Orioles community is 1% more embarrassed?

The National League uses pitchers to hit every single game and they survive the embarrassment.

I don't get that sentiment as well. Actually, I'm happy they used Chris Davis in that role. One, it was fun to watch. Two, it's better than wasting an inning from a reliever at that point, and lastly there was no down side to the move.

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t believe that even a little bit.   Look at how he sent all the players with good spring training numbers back to the minors on the grounds that past MiL performance was more important.    

Some people were upset when he sent out Yusniel Diaz and Chance Sisco saying they earned a spot. Look at what they are doing at AA and AAA respectively. Heck, he promoted Kline when he had a 8 something ERA and had been getting hammered in AAA. The last thing Elias is influenced by is SSS.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't get that sentiment as well. Actually, I'm happy they used Chris Davis in that role. One, it was fun to watch. Two, it's better than wasting an inning from a reliever at that point, and lastly there was no down side to the move.

No down side??? What if Davis was hurt while pitching?

Wait, don’t answer that.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Exactly. I just didn't want to type that. ;)

We got our arse handed to us, and they hit 10 HRs and our biggest bone of contention is a position player pitching?

In another thread, I mentioned that the one run games was started to make me think of the 2012 season.

Well, Davis pitched in a blowout that season, too.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't understand this statement.  You have a game where the leverage index is zero - no team, or almost no team, in major league history has ever overcome that kind of deficit.  The game is all but over.  Why burn even a mopup man in that situation when you can use a position player?  What's the downside?  That they lose 19-4 instead of 15-4, and the Orioles community is 1% more embarrassed?

The National League uses pitchers to hit every single game and they survive the embarrassment.

You're asking a position player to do something they aren't trained to do. If they injure their shoulder or elbow - that's damaging to their career. You're also asking someone to get in the box against someone who doesn't have incredible control. Even a 70mph fastball can break a wrist.

Not really worried about the "embarrassment" of it. Anytime a position player goes out on the mound, they all say they just try not to get hurt. It's really unfair to the players' careers.

1 minute ago, theocean said:

You're asking a position player to do something they aren't trained to do. If they injure their shoulder or elbow - that's damaging to their career. You're also asking someone to get in the box against someone who doesn't have incredible control. Even a 70mph fastball can break a wrist.

Not really worried about the "embarrassment" of it. Anytime a position player goes out on the mound, they all say they just try not to get hurt. It's really unfair to the players' careers.

Yes but Davis has made his money and very likely will not get another contract after his current one. Using him for mop-up innings actually is perfect. I prefer using him to someone like Alberto who isn't getting paid a lot and needs to stay healthy and produce offensively and in the field to stay in the majors and earn his next contract. 

16 minutes ago, theocean said:

Except that Davis has done it before, and in a high leverage situation against the Red Sox.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Well I think it very much does matter, no good baseball man (or woman as the case may be) should be "into" SSS, but thankfully I'm pretty sure he's not.

Honestly all this hand-wringing over some of these moves - I don't know how much Elias is even paying attention to the current roster.  I'm sure that he is to some extent, and maybe we can try to glean some info from some of these moves, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's not paying a ton of attention to the current roster makeup.  He's got much bigger fish to fry trying to get this organization set up for long term success.

I think it's definitely hand-wringing over nothing.  There might be 2, 3, 4 players on this roster who'll still be here when the Orioles are next in contention.  Elias isn't pre-approving platoon and lineup strategies with Hyde.  He's looking at players in a variety of situations and trying to figure out if anybody is good enough to be on the 2023 Orioles.  Hyde isn't on the hot seat because he might end up a few wins shy of living up to the 67-win expectations of a hyper-optimized 2019 strategic vision.

49 minutes ago, theocean said:

Every single player on a Major League roster throws a baseball at least dozens of times a day.  Okay, not David Ortiz and Harold Baines, but everyone else.  I'm not really grasping how it's terribly unfair to Chris Davis to have him throw 20 pitches at the end of a blowout.  Tomorrow he'll get to the park, grab a glove, and play catch for 15 or 20 minutes, which is probably 10 or 15 minutes longer than he pitched.

If we've elevated the level of worry and gotten so hyper-protective of MLBers that they're at grave risk for throwing a baseball 20 or 30 times I think it's time to back things off few notches.  Jose Canseco probably sold more copies of his tell-all book because he once tore an ACL pitching.  It added to his absurd legend.

30 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Except that Davis has done it before, and in a high leverage situation against the Red Sox.

Yeah, in 2012. Seven years ago. When he was 26. In the 16th and 17th inning.

He's finally starting to be a little successful at the plate. He goes up there and strains his oblique in a whatever game? Not fair to him as a player and not a smart use of a guy you owe a ton of money to.

Archived