Wright DFA, Ynoa is up

eddie83

5 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Because Ramirez, who is a young starter with potential, is starting every five days on normal rest in Norfolk, and Ynoa (who again, doesn't matter) is replacing Mike Wright to pitch in long relief and eat innings. Baltimore isn't adding a sixth starter.

Gabriel Ynoa started 3 games in the minors this season. While he's certainly coming up to be middle/long relief, I can see a scenario where he pinch starts, especially with how dismal this rotation is. Cobb didn't inspire confidence 2 days ago...so is it a possibility Cobb either gets extra time between starts and/or missing some time in the future? In those scenarios, you need a "6th" starter type. And Ynoa matches that. He's also not an *awful* pitcher, even though he sure isn't great.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe not in the next week or so, but do you truly believe that you've seen the last of Mike Wright in an O's uniform?

If he passed through waiver and goes to Norfolk and the figure out how to make him better, then maybe.   But I doubt they can improve him.

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Gabriel Ynoa started 3 games in the minors this season. While he's certainly coming up to be middle/long relief, I can see a scenario where he pinch starts, especially with how dismal this rotation is. Cobb didn't inspire confidence 2 days ago...so is it a possibility Cobb either gets extra time between starts and/or missing some time in the future? In those scenarios, you need a "6th" starter type. And Ynoa matches that. He's also not an *awful* pitcher, even though he sure isn't great.

The key to ET's post was the "doesn't matter" bit. I've been saying this all year. ***ALMOST*** nobody on the MLB roster matters to the future of this franchise. You could argue for a few guys, but it's more than likely that anyone with any talent will be traded this year or next - whenever their value is at its peak. Ynoa is org filler, and we don't care how he performs, or even really if he remains healthy (at least if he stays healthy we don't have to make another roster move). We have to complete 162 games this year and next somehow. Hopefully Ynoa gets a few outs along the way.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Americanized Korean food is pretty good. I dont' think it takes much getting used to. I love Pho, Korean BBQ, Brown Rice places and Kimchi in general.  Its not like eating Sushi or something.  But I think the real deal is probably harder.  I went to a Korean wedding once and it was quite different.

Anyway I doubt the Koreans want Mike Wright. I think they are only allowed 2 non-Korean pitchers per team. I don't think Wright is good enough in seriousness. 

I didn’t know about the foreigner limit(ha! Immigration restrictions!) But if they have room for Tyler Wilson(who I actually always liked) I’m sure somebody can make room for a giant who throws 97 miles an hour, straight as a laser or not.

2 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

The key to ET's post was the "doesn't matter" bit. I've been saying this all year. ***ALMOST*** nobody on the MLB roster matters to the future of this franchise. You could argue for a few guys, but it's more than likely that anyone with any talent will be traded this year or next - whenever their value is at its peak. Ynoa is org filler, and we don't care how he performs, or even really if he remains healthy (at least if he stays healthy we don't have to make another roster move). We have to complete 162 games this year and next somehow. Hopefully Ynoa gets a few outs along the way.

I agree with this. But I also don't think Yefrey Ramirez is anything special either. :shrug: 

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I didn’t know about the foreigner limit(ha! Immigration restrictions!) But if they have room for Tyler Wilson(who I actually always liked) I’m sure somebody can make room for a giant who throws 97 miles an hour, straight as a laser or not.

Tyler Wilson is a better pitcher than Mike Wright.  

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

The call up of Ynoa does not show a lot of foresight on the part of Orioles management.

24 hour earlier they could have DFA'd Wright and called up Yefry Ramirez who is pitching well at AAA (0.00 ERA).  Ramirez also would have increased the flexibility of the the pitching staff because he has options remaining.  But they allowed him to take his turn at AAA on Saturday which means a could not help the O's if called up for 5 days.  

Instead they call up Ynoa who has not been pitching well (4.76 ERA).  And he is out for options.  

The addition of Ynoa appears to be a last minute decision out for necessity.  Now the O's are stuck with finding out how much Ynoa can help them because they could lose him if they tried to send him down.  

This doesn't appear to be a well thought out move.

That’s a good point.

30 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I get that. I'm just saying that we have a tendency to pig pile on one person as if they're overwhelmingly the reason for this club's lack of success. The level of vitriol for Mike Wright was so damn high, you'd think he was Ubaldo Jimenez. 

Well he has been pretty bad over four season so I can understand why people were fed up with him. I was surprised he made the team out of spring training, even with his good spring. The stuff was the same and with all the analytics, I would have figured the new staff would have seen that.

2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

You sound like atomic.

You make assumptions about things you don’t understand and for whatever reason, type them out for an audience.

I don’t pretend to have all the information available, but the comment was reasonable. Ramirez is pitching well and has options, Ynoa isn’t and doesn’t, and with Ynoa, the pitching staff remains inflexible because sending Ynoa down risks-however unlikely it might be-losing him on waivers. That’s undeniable. It seems to have been poorly thought out.

I would very much like to hear a rebuttal. I’m not being contentious, I’m merely agreeing that it seems like a head scratcher.

39 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I get that. I'm just saying that we have a tendency to pig pile on one person as if they're overwhelmingly the reason for this club's lack of success. The level of vitriol for Mike Wright was so damn high, you'd think he was Ubaldo Jimenez. 

Jiminez had plenty of success in his career and he even had success from time to time with the club.  Wright has been below replacement level every year of his career.  And Wright also was a reason our pitching coach and bullpen coach left. 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I don’t pretend to have all the information available, but the comment was reasonable. Ramirez is pitching well and has options, Ynoa isn’t and doesn’t, and with Ynoa, the pitching staff remains inflexible because sending Ynoa down risks-however unlikely it might be-losing him on waivers. That’s undeniable. It seems to have been poorly thought out.

I would very much like to hear a rebuttal. I’m not being contentious, I’m merely agreeing that it seems like a head scratcher.

Maybe they think that Ramirez's continuing development at AAA is more important than whatever contribution he can make to the major league club. 

Archived