The Silver Lining Report: Game 25/162 (O's win 9-1)

interloper

It's a dinger party!

• ?Andrew Cashner: Don't look now, but he's sporting a 4.18 ERA and is the ace of this staff. Woops! 7 innings (the first Oriole to do that this season), 5 hits, 5 Ks. SOLID. 4 wins on the year, for what it's worth.

• ?Dwight Smith Jr.: This kind of win deserves a double-unicorn and Dwight's got the other one. What a game. Robbed a home run on an outstanding catch in LF, blasted a 3-run bomb with one of the silliest launch angles we'll see this year from an Oriole (41 degrees), and generally looks like a stud most nights. Your loss, Toronto! 

• Trey Mancini: Just the one hit on the night, but a couple of great catches in RF. Mark Trumbo he is not out there. Not always pretty, but if he can get to a ball he's going to catch it, and he'll probably do it while expending extra effort with a slide or a dive or a stretch. Love this guy. He's fun. 

• Renato Nunez: Continues his assault with his 6th home run, an absolute no-doubter. Added a walk, because the 2019 Orioles can actually take a walk, which is nice. Your loss, Texas!

• Chris Davis: Took a high fastball and gave it a U-turn out to LCF, good for 2 runs. Also had a single earlier in the game, a liner to CF. I had mentioned in other threads during his 0fer streak that his barrel %, launch angle, and EV were all around his 2015-2016 numbers. Perhaps we're seeing the results of that finally. Who knows? We'll find out. 

• Joey Rickard: Starting Center Fielder Joey Rickard cranked a 2-run 334 ft squeaker and we'll absolutely take it. Joey gets a lot of hate around here, but all he needs to do is have occasional surprise games like this and play a decent CF until Hays is ready, and that will be fine. Scored on an error following his first hit of the ballgame as well.  

• Paul Fry: A dominant looking inning from the stalwart lefty that featured a strikeout and no baserunners. 

• Gabriel Ynoa: They're wasting no time working him in. Second straight game with a scoreless inning and you can't help but think that it could be Mike Wright out there instead. I like Gabe. He's younger and better than Mike Wright. 

• Richie Martin: Made a terrific diving play early in the game and added a single. I like that he hasn't completely drowned out there. He's treading water and, hopefully, slowly getting better. 

• Jonathan Villar: Quietly, a double and an excellent diving play in the 8th inning. 

• Rio Ruiz: Rio's my boy, man. Hit, walk (of course), and the game-ending double play. I've really enjoyed watching him settle into being a decent ML player. I'm not sure he's much more than a replacement-level guy or platoon guy, but anytime you lead a ML ball club in walk rate, you're doing something right. .337 OBP despite a .237 AVG. If he can start mixing in a few more XBH his slash line will look pretty damn respectable. 

• HOME WIN

Hey! That was a good one. I enjoyed myself. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

• Richie Martin: Ah, growing pains. Yes he had a couple of errors, but he also made a terrific diving play early in the game and added a single. I like that he hasn't completely drowned out there. He's treading water and, hopefully, slowly getting better. 

His errors were on Monday.    3 flawless chances yesterday, including the very nice diving stop you mentioned.    

3 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Would Cashner be traded to a contender, or would the Orioles need his innings just to survive?

Nunez can mash, good find.

I feel like this depends on whether or not Cobb can get himself together long enough to pitch a damn baseball game. Lol. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cashner, 5ks but ONE WALK.  One walk was the story of his night, IMO.  I think he can certainly get by even with a low k rate but the walks are the killer for him.  

It’s easier not to nibble when you’re pitching with a big lead.   And, he had a lot of good defense behind him.   Still, overall I liked his approach in this game.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s easier not to nibble when you’re pitching with a big lead.   And, he had a lot of good defense behind him.   Still, overall I liked his approach in this game.    

He did have some great defense behind him.  Truthfully, I think he got a bit lucky yesterday but I'll take it!

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Some guys just know how to win. 

I was thinking that when DSJR robbed that homer and Mancini made that catch at the warning track.  I said to myself, "Dude, Cashner just knew exactly where to put that pitch to make sure it didn't leave the park enough and so that DSJR could catch it."

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was thinking that when DSJR robbed that homer and Mancini made that catch at the warning track.  I said to myself, "Dude, Cashner just knew exactly where to put that pitch to make sure it didn't leave the park enough and so that DSJR could catch it."

Strategery at it’s finest or the ball would have carried out if it was 10 degrees warmer. I guess we’ll never know. ?‍♂️

Archived