O's forced to bring up an outfielder?

wildcard

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, Wynns can't possibly match the 40 OPS+ Sucre is putting up and the pitching is obviously thriving with him behind the plate.

There’s a long list of terrible hitters on the 25-man. If you dump everyone who is underwater that would be about everyone.

Regarding catching defense, much of what catchers accomplish is stuff they keep from happening, and therefore fans don’t see it. Sucre has hung around because he’s good behind the plate, and he gets dumped because the team finds someone whom they hope is as good behind it, and better in front of it. I don’t know how much we will lose with Wynns instead of Sucre, we might not even notice. 

But Sucre offered something meaningful, and he will have a job pretty quickly, because of what he offers, and despite what he does not.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Philip said:

Wow Sucre DFA-ed! There must have been something behind the scenes. I like Wynns a lot but he’s not close to the catcher that Sucre is.

no big problem with the other moves, although I can’t understand why Yacabonis was optioned instead of Scott. Scott has been consistently bad, and Yac had only last night’s fiasco. He has a longer track record of success so keeping Scott is a head scratcher. Maybe Wright gave the photos to Scott when he left?

I think Yac is temporary since he just pitched 2 innings. Scott could pitch today if he had to. I agree that Scott is basically all hype. Guys just sit on his hanging slider.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’m sure the pitchers are going to miss Sucre’s enthusiastic responses to their performance on the mound. 

I remember one series of pitches between Wright and Sucre. Wright kept shaking off Sucre’s pitch calls and then got whammed. I don’t know whether Wright insisted on throwing his own pitch, or he threw the pitch that Sucre wanted and missed( or didn’t miss)but Sucre was pretty obviously annoyed at the result.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He might not be leaving.

I’ll have to do a rundown of how many teams in the league have terrible catchers, But it wouldn’t surprise me a bit To see him leave. Heck, he might even go back to Tampa. Mike Zunino is a wonderful defensive catcher, but he has fewer hits than Paper Lace.

(Bonus points if you know what Paper Lace’s number one hit was… Their only number one hit…)

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I’ll have to do a rundown of how many teams in the league have terrible catchers, But it wouldn’t surprise me a bit To see him leave. Heck, he might even go back to Tampa. Mike Zunino is a wonderful defensive catcher, but he has fewer hits than Paper Lace.

(Bonus points if you know what Paper Lace’s number one hit was… Their only number one hit…)

It could go either way.

Got me on Paper Lace.  I did google them and while I of course remember the song I didn't recall who did it.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It could go either way.

Got me on Paper Lace.  I did google them and while I of course remember the song I didn't recall who did it.

I’m a classical musician, and I remember hearing that song so much as a young child that it has stuck with me all this time. I think it’s a great song, and I think that if I actually went back and re-visited rock from the 60s and early 70s, I’d probably find a whole lot to like.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m a classical musician, and I remember hearing that song so much as a young child that it has stuck with me all this time. I think it’s a great song, and I think that if I actually went back and re-visited rock from the 60s and early 70s, I’d probably find a whole lot to like.

It's a fine song.  I'm normally rather good at that sort of thing but you can't get them all.

Archived