If you could ask Mike Elias anything, what would you ask?

Tony-OH

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Every time he’s been asked that question, Elias has said he can’t put a timetable on it.    

Realistically, how could anyone? We could potentially be in a situation where literally nobody on our 25 man roster would be on our next serious contender. To think that we're 25 of 25 guys away from real contention would mean there is no meaningful time frame to offer. Any number would just be a guess. 

If the O's  had a 1989 like season and worked their way into contention for the wild card in  July  would you still trade away veterans at the deadline?   Or would you want until the off season?

O's are 6 games out of the wild card currently.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the O's  had a 1989 like season and worked their way into contention for the wild card in  July  would you still trade away veterans at the deadline?   Or would you want until the off season?

Shameless self promoting.

49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Unfortunately, I think this question is completely hypothetical.    I’ll note, however, that the ‘89 team was only 16-19 after 35 games.   They went on a tear beginning at Game 40, going 23-7 over their next 30.   

On 5/6/2019 at 4:07 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Billy Beane said essentially all GMs are looking at the same things now, that there are no more undervalued/under-appreciated assets in the game.

I don't necessarily agree.  Teams have wildly different risk tolerances.  The Yanks don't look at the same thing as the Orioles because if the Orioles win 88 games it's because of divine intervention, while if the Yanks win 88 games Cashman fears for his job.  Rio Ruiz was a guy the Orioles targeted, but to the Yanks a player of his caliber is an almost random name in a spreadsheet that their intern from Stanford tracks just in case their first 11 targets don't work out and there's a rash of injuries.

And teams can still get myopic.  At some point they'll be so focused on strikeouts and driving flyballs out of the park that spray hitters with low exit velocity will be undervalued.  If they're not already.  And baseball might change some rules, which will upend some of the new assumptions.  It's human nature to think you're right, even well past the sell-by date.

11 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Well, my question isn't probably appropriate to ask, but I'd want him to grade the returns the O's got for Britton, Gausman, Schoop and Machado.

That would be very inappropriate but why does it matter what he feels like the grades where?

Its not to going to change the outcome, and there is nobody left in management from that ERA.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't necessarily agree.  Teams have wildly different risk tolerances.  The Yanks don't look at the same thing as the Orioles because if the Orioles win 88 games it's because of divine intervention, while if the Yanks win 88 games Cashman fears for his job.  Rio Ruiz was a guy the Orioles targeted, but to the Yanks a player of his caliber is an almost random name in a spreadsheet that their intern from Stanford tracks just in case their first 11 targets don't work out and there's a rash of injuries.

And teams can still get myopic.  At some point they'll be so focused on strikeouts and driving flyballs out of the park that spray hitters with low exit velocity will be undervalued.  If they're not already.  And baseball might change some rules, which will upend some of the new assumptions.  It's human nature to think you're right, even well past the sell-by date.

people jumped on DD for dumpster diving.

Yet, with the exception of the Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox, all the other teams are looking for cheap reclamation projects that will help their team production wise and not break the bank.

Archived