Hess pitching for his spot?

wildcard

3 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Straily has been worse than Hess. Hess has shown some flashes. Straily is gone after this year. He won't fetch anything at the trade deadline either. Why start him over Ynoa/Ramirez/Hess? 

The whole point of this year is to evaluate young talent. If 2019 is not the year to see what fringe prospects have, when is? If we never give them a chance and just keep the Straily's in the lineup we'll be rebuilding forever.    

What if Straily, can regain his form, and show that he can pitch after 2019?

I think its too early to close the book on Straily

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

What if Straily, can regain his form, and show that he can pitch after 2019?

I think its too early to close the book on Straily

He can maybe put up an ERA south of 5.00 and is on the wrong side of 30. I'm not saying cut Straily, just not in favor of him starting over (fringe potential) future pieces. Let the young guys play. Who cares if they suck. Every other veteran we pick up to replace them with will suck too. 

4 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

He can maybe put up an ERA south of 5.00 and is on the wrong side of 30. I'm not saying cut Straily, just not in favor of him starting over (fringe potential) future pieces. Let the young guys play. Who cares if they suck. Every other veteran we pick up to replace them with will suck too. 

I think Elias understands this, and thats why they did limit FA signings.

I suspect they are overly impress with the young arms in the system

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

Straily has been worse than Hess. Hess has shown some flashes. Straily is gone after this year. He won't fetch anything at the trade deadline either. Why start him over Ynoa/Ramirez/Hess? 

The whole point of this year is to evaluate young talent. If 2019 is not the year to see what fringe prospects have, when is? If we never give them a chance and just keep the Straily's in the lineup we'll be rebuilding forever.    

Actually Straily has not been worse than Hess.  Straily had two get up to speed outings after being acquired.  That was because the acquisition took him out of this normally pitching cycle.    He has had 4 starts since he has been starting on a normal basis.  He has gone 18.1 IP and allowed 9 earned runs.  That is a 4.43 ERA.  No bad for a 5th starter.

Hess has a 5.72 ERA in his 6 starts.

I think you overlooking  the injury factor when talking about taking Straily out of the rotation.   Cobb is the only injured O's starter right now but injuries can happen at any time.  Some teams are missing two or three starters.   I think the O's will want to keep Straily through this year.  Straily signed  with the O's as a FA because he wanted to start and the O's offered him that opportunity.  As long as he is pitching well I think it will be hard for the O's to remove him from the rotation.  He probably would not be happy about that.   Now if he pitches poorly that is another story.

Younger starters like Ynoa, Ramirez and even (Hess if he doesn't begin pitching better) can get their innings in mid to long relief.   They have options that can be used to call them up and down to the minors.   With the trade deadline being  in July, Cashner is a prime target for the O's to trade.  That will open a spot in the rotation.   The younger starters will get their opportunities to start a some point this season is my guess. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The question would be:  What O's swingman is stretched out and  pitching better than David Hess?

I think the line in the sand for ineffectiveness on a 110 or so loss team is a bit further in reality than in your opinion.

Regardless how Hess does tonight I hope he continues to get starts but would like to see Ramirez get an opportunity to start as well possibly rotate the two. 

I don’t feel good about Cobb at all and think we might be without him for significant period of time, which sucks because I was hoping we could move him at the deadline.

7 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

I agree. 

Archived