Cashner's Trade Value

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Cashner was ranked by MLBTR as one of the better FA SP that was available, and I believe he was signed right in line with their prediction was.

Cashner hasn't had a FIP below 4.50 since he left San Diego.  If he was one of the better pitchers available that meant the pool was very, very shallow.

Having said that, if you're looking for a 5th starter who'll probably give you 150 innings of below-average ERA, signing one for $8M a year isn't the worst thing in the world.  But it's not the kind of thing that even remotely turns a 75-win team into a contender.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Cashner was ranked by MLBTR as one of the better FA SP that was available, and I believe he was signed right in line with their prediction was.

Yes we signed him up for a good price, but I don’t think he was worth the money they paid him, I didn’t think he was worth the money at the time, and I think he was a bad sign.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

And he certainly doesn’t have any value now. Contenders are definitely going to be looking for pitching help, but it is highly unlikely that cash and I would offer any meaningful help to a contending team.

Just now, Philip said:

Yes we signed him up for a good price, but I don’t think he was worth the money they paid him, I didn’t think he was worth the money at the time, and I think he was a bad sign.

I dont think any pitcher is really worth the money they get. But, thats me.

At the time, we had a glass half full theory that we could be a contender if they got some pitching help. DD did that, he got Cobb and Cashner, took a flyer on Tilly bounce back and brought in extra rule 5 guys, and thought they had enough arms to field a team. They thought Gausman and Bundy could anchor the front of the rotation.

Hindsight says otherwise.

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont think any pitcher is really worth the money they get. But, thats me.

At the time, we had a glass half full theory that we could be a contender if they got some pitching help. DD did that, he got Cobb and Cashner, took a flyer on Tilly bounce back and brought in extra rule 5 guys, and thought they had enough arms to field a team. They thought Gausman and Bundy could anchor the front of the rotation.

Hindsight says otherwise.

Orioles preparation regarding pitching staffs for the last couple of years has been laughably bad, and not just in hindsight. I agree with you that nobody is worth the money they get, but I also agree with you that, well, people just pay it.

Right now Cashner profiles as a #3 starter who will average 5.1 IP per start and give up 2 to 3 earned runs per start.   He is durable and can probably pitch 30-33 starts this year.  He is 32 and will have a base salary of 2.7m on July 31st.  He will also probably earn about 2.4m in bonuses between July 31st and the end of the season.  He has a team option for 10m plus bonuses for 2020. 2020 option vests if he pitches 187 inning in 2019.  His current pace would get him to 184 IP.

Starters that may be available in July and more attractive than Cashner:

Stroman, TOR, 28,   FA after the 2020 season.  $2.2M on contract on July 31st

Minor, TEX, 31, FA after the 2020 season.  3.2m on contract onJuly 31st.  9.8m for 2020.

Roark, Cin, 32, FA after the 2019 season 3.3m on contract on July 31st.

Anderson, OAK, 31, FA after 2019 season 500K on contract on July 31st.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheThinkingOriole said:

My speculation is that Cashner's trade value will be for a minor leaguer or MLB player under some team control for a while with no upside. The team that trades for him is ravaged with injuries or is a contender that has its pitching at the level of the 2012-2016 Orioles (late 2014 notwithstanding).

I could definitely see him going to a team with a void at the back end of the rotation.  He's probably not a top-3 guy, but if a team is dealing with injuries or depth issues, he could solidify the 4/5 spot for a stretch run.  He also has experience coming out of the pen, which could make him more attractive for a playoff team despite not being a part of a traditional 3-man for a playoff run.