Orioles draft strategy

Hey, first time poster here, however I have lurked for a quite some time.

Anyway, (in light of the Bundy signing) I was giving some thought as to what the Orioles draft strategy might be for the future.

Is it possible that as a mid-market team, McPhail knows he can't compete with the large market teams in terms of free-agent signings, so he has decided instead to attempt to beat them with multiple above-slot draft picks.

Seeing as how they don't cost nearly as much as high priced free-agents, he might figure that he can devote more of his resources to this than teams like Boston, NY, and LAA do. In this way he may have found a way to exploit the fact that those teams spend so much on free-agents.

Just thinking out loud here and was wondering if anyone agreed.

First, welcome. I think it's a good sign that this is your first post. You're already paying attention to the minutia. And the minutia is where the fun it.

Most of us are hoping this is the case. Of course, the Yanks and Sox do it - along with spending on top-tier FAs, so it doesn't catch us up.

But, no matter your revenue class, it's a smart way to go (until MLB puts an end to it, if they do.)

I think most of us are eyeing the Bundy (and Brady) negotiations as part of a bold new plan for O's drafting.

Is it possible that as a mid-market team, McPhail knows he can't compete with the large market teams in terms of free-agent signings, so he has decided instead to attempt to beat them with multiple above-slot draft picks.

Welcome to the board. This effort to go with multiple above-slot draft picks is a great sign, but we are only keeping up with how the NYY and BoSox treat the draft.

We still trail the NYY and BoSox in bringing on board top free agents and international talent.

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't followed the draft that closely until this year, so I wasn't aware that going over slot was so commonplace. Is MLB discussing putting in a more strict slotting system that would prevent this?

Judging by the Orioles recent willingness to do so, I hope not.;)

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't followed the draft that closely until this year, so I wasn't aware that going over slot was so commonplace. Is MLB discussing putting in a more strict slotting system that would prevent this?

Judging by the Orioles recent willingness to do so, I hope not.;)

The MLB's slotting system is very bad. There's really nothing they can do to MAKE teams sign at slot, because less players in the middle rounds would sign, and an end would be put to that through endless complaining.

I guess we'll have to live with the better teams getting the better and more high priced players because nothing can be done.

When you look at the trend of tying up young players with long-term contracts and an overall reluctance to trade top young prospects for vets, I think it is safe to say that just about every team is going to be going with this philosophy very soon. It makes too much sense.

For now though, I'm glad we've added Arrietta and Bundy to our system by going well over slot.

When you look at the trend of tying up young players with long-term contracts and an overall reluctance to trade top young prospects for vets, I think it is safe to say that just about every team is going to be going with this philosophy very soon. It makes too much sense.

If everyone did this, then maybe they should just draft these guys based on talent in the first place!

Great first post!

As for your point, I completely agree. The Orioles aren't going to outspend the Yankees or the Red Sox, so the way to do it is by drafting and coaching their own. It certainly helps to sign guys who are falling due to slot concerns. If the Orioles completely adopt this approach, then it'll speed up the rebuilding process 10x. Instead of walking away with one or two studs... the Orioles could potentially land a few first round talent players.

Archived