vs. D-RAYS, 7/01

OFFNY

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Look at the EVs in that last inning. They were getting to him. You can be upset all you want though, but it's not justified.

I saw them. What were they in the first inning? Again, babying him now isn't logical. He's done it in the minors. He did it all season in 2017 and was doing it again this season. I'm sure he gave up line drives in those games as well. Let him try to make adjustments and get through it. He did it in the first inning and shut them down for the next four. It is justified though I'm not that upset, but babying him now does him no good. Let him show if he can do in the majors what he has shown in the minors.

Just now, Sessh said:

I saw them. What were they in the first inning? Again, babying him now isn't logical. He's done it in the minors. He did it all season in 2017 and was doing it again this season. I'm sure he gave up line drives in those games as well. Let him try to make adjustments and get through it. He did it in the first inning and shut them down for the next four. It is justified though I'm not that upset, but babying him now does him no good. Let him show if he can do in the majors what he has shown in the minors.

Why is it that you think he's being babied?   Maybe Hyde just thought pulling him have the team the best chance to win.

At the very least, can we at least make it a prerequisite for a pitcher to do well at AAA before promoting them? I would be perfectly fine if the O's were more patient with someone like Tanner Scott who has done well at AAA than giving the likes of Rogers, Yacabonis, and Kline more opportunities. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Look at the EVs in that last inning. They were getting to him. You can be upset all you want though, but it's not justified.

Yes, but those guys aren’t coming back up. Besides EVs,  any reason not to let him at least go out for the 6th? Pull him if anyone gets on, we see that all the time.

Just now, TINSTAAPP said:

At the very least, can we at least make it a prerequisite for a pitcher to do well at AAA before promoting them? I would be perfectly fine if the O's were more patient with someone like Tanner Scott who has done well at AAA than giving the likes of Rogers, Yacabonis, and Kline more opportunities. 

Nope, because the ML team has innings that need to be thrown.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Yes, but those guys aren’t coming back up. Besides EVs,  any reason not to let him at least go out for the 6th? Pull him if anyone gets on, we see that all the time.

Buck loved that, I hated it.  Would rather a reliever come in to a clean inning.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Why is it that you think he's being babied?   Maybe Hyde just thought pulling him have the team the best chance to win.

Well, he was pulled with a low pitch count while pitching well and when one of the biggest assets he has shown in the minors is being able to pitch deep into games and gets yanked in the fifth with 75 pitches and needing only 10 pitches per to get through the last four innings. Maybe Hyde did think that and I guess we'll find out in the post game presser, but should have been allowed to at least try to get through the sixth and pull him at the first sign of trouble.

Anyway, I'm out of gas on this. I'm just glad he pitched well.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Buck loved that, I hated it.  Would rather a reliever come in to a clean inning.

It’s not an all or nothing proposition. You do it based on what’s happening, not by rote.

Even Earl changed things up based on the talent he had to choose from.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This game is over.

Buck CONSTANTLY left his guys in too long. Start the inning with a silent bullpen, three guys on base, and somebody finally gets up, a hit and a couple runs and Buck goes out to stall while the BP guys hurry. One more batter, who clears the bases and THEN Buck makes the change....it boils the blood, it does.

Even worse were Buck’s empty platitudes afterwards.

Much better to start with a clean inning and send the new guy to the showers with a chance to win.

It’s not Hyde’s fault that Kline picked tonight for a stinker.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Buck CONSTANTLY left his guys in too long. Start the inning with a silent bullpen, three guys on base, and somebody finally gets up, a hit and a couple runs and Buck goes out to stall while the BP guys hurry. One more batter, who clears the bases and THEN Buck makes the change....it boils the blood, it does.

Even worse were Buck’s empty platitudes afterwards.

Much better to start with a clean inning and send the new guy to the showers with a chance to win.

It’s not Hyde’s fault that Kline picked tonight for a stinker.

Eh, I'm over it.  Easy to look like a good manager when you've got better talent.  

No certain outcome that we win this game if Eshelman stays in.  Personally, I'm tired of hand wringing if this team is going to win 44 or 45 games.  

Archived