No Statue

Philip

I’m sure this has already been discussed thoroughly, but I wanted to say it again:

i just saw a blurb about the HOF induction, and Mussina is pictured in a Yankee uniform. Whether or not that is his choice, it reflects his own refusal to refer to himself as an Oriole.

Lots of great players had meaningful years with different teams, but bonded with one of those teams above the others. For instance, Nolan Ryan is a Ranger. Although he was also Met, Angel and Astro, he is a Ranger.

Mussina refuses to say whether he was a Yankee or an Oriole. That’s fine and I understand his reasoning and I don’t disagree with it. It’s his choice to express how he feels, and that’s ok. But that’s not the point of this post.

The point is that if you’re not an Oriole, you don’t get a statue, and you shouldn’t get a statue.

• Upvote 1

To me. Loan Ryan is an 

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m sure this has already been discussed thoroughly, but I wanted to say it again:

i just saw a blurb about the HOF induction, and Mussina is pictured in a Yankee uniform. Whether or not that is his choice, it reflects his own refusal to refer to himself as an Oriole.

Lots of great players had meaningful years with different teams, but bonded with one of those teams above the others. For instance, Nolan Ryan is a Ranger. Although he was also Met, Angel and Astro, he is a Ranger.

Mussina refuses to say whether he was a Yankee or an Oriole. That’s fine and I understand his reasoning and I don’t disagree with it. It’s his choice to express how he feels, and that’s ok. But that’s not the point of this post.

The point is that if you’re not an Oriole, you don’t get a statue, and you shouldn’t get a statue.

Weird that Nolan Ryan is considered a Ranger as he didn’t play with them until he was 42.  I consider him an Angel.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

To me. Loan Ryan is an 

Weird that Nolan Ryan is considered a Ranger as he didn’t play with them until he was 42.  I consider him an Angel.

I would imagine that every Angels fan considers him an angel, because he did so much with them, and he did a lot with the Mets as well. But he also did a lot with the Astros. But the point isn’t what he did with a specific team,  but where he places his personal allegiance.

He signed with the Rangers because the Astros thought he was done, and that kind of attitude from both teams may have influenced his decision, but what is important is not what caused the decision, but the decision itself. Mussina refuses to commit.

Just now, interloper said:

Who cares man. We all need to get over it. He was a great Oriole, a great Yankee, but not a legend and not going in as an O. No statue.

It's the whole Baltimore inferiority complex thing.  I'm guessing if Moose had signed with the Padres instead of the Yankees he'd be better regarded today by Oriole fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's my opinion and is every bit as valid as your own.

Yeah that’s fine, I’m not denying that. Opinions are fine you can have all the ones you want. Some people think that team performance should be considered in a discussion about individual performance, but I think the very act of saying “individual performance” Answers the question.

12 minutes ago, makoman said:

In an alternate reality where Tito Landrum strikes out and Cy Young winner LaMarr Hoyt pitches a gem in game 5 Cal doesn’t get a statue?

In an alternate reality, Armando Benitez doesn't choke his way through the playoffs and we win the 1997 World Series we deserved to win....and Cal gets two rings. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, JR Oriole said:

In an alternate reality, Armando Benitez doesn't choke his way through the playoffs and we win the 1997 World Series we deserved to win....and Cal gets two rings. 

In a different alternate reality the Yankees draft Cal with the last pick of the first round of the 1978 draft instead of Brian Ryder.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Joe called him.