Darell Hernaiz 2019

Greg Pappas

42 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I hope it was an over the fencer.  A homer and 2 walks after 3 hits last game.  Good!

And the game before, he was 1 for 2 with 2 walks.  

I just hope he wears an O's cap to the HOF induction.  

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

In 65 PA the just-turned 18-year old has 14 BB's and 15 K's.  Small sample size, granted, but pretty nice to see such patience. 

.216 .385 .294 .679

And we have a 17 year old SS in the Dominican League with 15 BB's and 15 K's.  Perhaps a reflection of what type of players they are now looking for.  Or just one of those kinda coincidental things.

Hey, the mind tends to wander when you're an O's fan with a day off.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

And we have a 17 year old SS in the Dominican League with 15 BB's and 15 K's.  Perhaps a reflection of what type of players they are now looking for.  Or just one of those kinda coincidental things.

Hey, the mind tends to wander when you're an O's fan with a day off.  

...and my mind wanders even on days we play. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hernaiz went 4-4 today with a triple, and also added a walk.

He had been majorly scuffling, with an .086 batting average over his last 11 games (35 at-bats).

He raised his OPS today from .623 to .725.

17 walks on 21 strikeouts over 91 plate appearances on the season. That is a lot of plate appearances without putting the ball in play, but that is the modern game I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Hernaiz had his 4th multi-hit game today in the last 5 games (the first was his 4-4 day discussed above).

His .724 OPS is better than Gunnar Henderson (.687). Hopefully one or both of them learns to play some second base this offseason so that they can both play up the middle in Delmarva. Given their draft position, I think full season ball is an appropriate jump for both, although both were young for their draft class with Hernaiz having turned 18 on August 3 and Henderson on June 29th. This season they have been switching off at SS and DH.

Curious to hear how they look defensively, Hernaiz has committed 1 error in 103 chances, while Gunnar has committed 8 errors in 81 chances. Their range factors are 4.43 and 3.65 respectively. Obviously not a ton of games played, so I want to hear what scouts think.

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Hernaiz had his 4th multi-hit game today in the last 5 games (the first was his 4-4 day discussed above).

His .724 OPS is better than Gunnar Henderson (.687). Hopefully one or both of them learns to play some second base this offseason so that they can both play up the middle in Delmarva. Given their draft position, I think full season ball is an appropriate jump for both, although both were young for their draft class with Hernaiz having turned 18 on August 3 and Henderson on June 29th. This season they have been switching off at SS and DH.

Curious to hear how they look defensively, Hernaiz has committed 1 error in 103 chances, while Gunnar has committed 8 errors in 81 chances. Their range factors are 4.43 and 3.65 respectively. Obviously not a ton of games played, so I want to hear what scouts think.

Maybe Hernais' fielding prowess convinces them to start him at Delmarva next year.  Obvious, it's early, and a few errors would change the numbers dramatically, but Hernais with a .990 fielding percentage through 23 games is impressive.

• 1 month later...

I liked the description of fifth-rounder Darell Hernaiz as a “wiry, athletic puppy.”

The Orioles selected Hernaiz out of Americas High School in El Paso, Texas. He turned 18 in August and posted a .371 on-base percentage in 29 games with Aberdeen.

Hernaiz had committed to Texas Tech University.

“He can play shortstop and has a chance to hit at the top of the lineup,” the scout said. “He showed a feel for the game and loves to play. Legit shortstop. I like his upside.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/10/this-that-and-the-other-189.html

• Upvote 1