Brandon Snyder

Enjoy Terror

I'm a tad worried about Brandon Snyder, since he was drafted as a catcher but plays primarily 1B. I have extreme doubts that Brandon has the power numbers necessary to be a 1B, which makes him suspect to ever reach the majors at that position. But he does play well, and I think to have him on the Orioles he would require some more versatility, his offensive stats reflect more middle infield/catcher type production.

Any thoughts on this? :scratchchinhmm:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your concern is one that many of us on this board share.

Let's see how Brandon continues to hit as he progresses through the minors, remembering that power is often the last tool to develop. Additionally, there is talk of Brandon possibly playing 3B, where his bat might profile a little bit better. He may switch to the position next year at Bowie while Rowell remains at Frederick.

I'm just happy that Brandon is in the conversation again of being a legitimate hitting prospect in the system. Glad to see him steadily improving month to month, and making it through the season healthy.

Your concern is one that many of us on this board share.

Let's see how Brandon continues to hit as he progresses through the minors, remembering that power is often the last tool to develop. Additionally, there is talk of Brandon possibly playing 3B, where his bat might profile a little bit better. He may switch to the position next year at Bowie while Rowell remains at Frederick.

I'm just happy that Brandon is in the conversation again of being a legitimate hitting prospect in the system. Glad to see him steadily improving month to month, and making it through the season healthy.

His offensive numbers are good for a 21 year old in a pitcher's league; he's clearly the best hitter at Frederick now that Weiters is in Bowie. I agree that he would be a much more exciting prospect if he could play 3B (not to mention C, but it seems like that's off the table due to his shoulder), so let's hope that he gets a shot at 3B.

He'll probably start the year in Bowie next season... hopefully he continues to play well there so he gets some time in Norfolk next year too and is ready to contribute to the O's sometime in 2010.

They say that power comes later, so maybe next year he'll break out and hit 20+ HR and become the guy we all hope he can.

He'll probably start the year in Bowie next season... hopefully he continues to play well there so he gets some time in Norfolk next year too and is ready to contribute to the O's sometime in 2010.

They say that power comes later, so maybe next year he'll break out and hit 20+ HR and become the guy we all hope he can.

Although Snyder has been somewhat of a disappointment up until this year, if he were to make it to the bigs by 2010 after being drafted out of high school, I would be quite satisfied. I have some concerns about whether Snyder could play positions other than first though, given the situation with his shoulder. A torn labrum is no joke and doesn't have nearly the same recovery rate as Tommy John surgery, which is down to an exact science.

It's difficult to have patience with prospects, especially those who were given fat bonuses in the first round, but with Snyder and with Rowell, we need to remember that they were high school players and are both still very young, because of this, they should be brought along slowly, not only to perfect their craft, but to give them the experiences of failure so that they will be able to deal with it in the majors some day.

His offensive numbers are good for a 21 year old in a pitcher's league; he's clearly the best hitter at Frederick now that Weiters is in Bowie. I agree that he would be a much more exciting prospect if he could play 3B (not to mention C, but it seems like that's off the table due to his shoulder), so let's hope that he gets a shot at 3B.

Here's some perspective on Brandon's numbers:

BA: 5th in the league; the 4 ahead of him are all at least 2 years older

Slg: 11th; all ahead are older. Only two (Willie Cabrera & Beau Mills) are within 3 mos of Brandon.

OPS: 14th; only 1 is younger (Nicholas Weglarz). Cabrera & Mills are also ahead of Brandon.

HRs: 17th; all are older. Of those ahead of him only Cabrera, Mills, and Wieters are within 6 mos of Brandon.

In my dream world, we sign Tex, Brandon is moved to 3B at Bowie next year (in prep for taking over for Mora in '10), and Rowell repeats Frederick. If Rowell has a breakout year we'll have a nice problem to worry about. :clap3:

I'm a tad worried about Brandon Snyder, since he was drafted as a catcher but plays primarily 1B. I have extreme doubts that Brandon has the power numbers necessary to be a 1B, which makes him suspect to ever reach the majors at that position. But he does play well, and I think to have him on the Orioles he would require some more versatility, his offensive stats reflect more middle infield/catcher type production.

Any thoughts on this? :scratchchinhmm:

I think your assessment is a little off. To say that he would be a more exciting prospect at another IF position or C is one thing, but you assert that he is "suspect to ever reach the majors at [1B]", which is really just not true. Without knowing how he'll handle AA, whether injuries will come up, etc., we can't say anything for sure yet, but his numbers right now project very well, even for a 1B. He's not going to be a Teixeira or Ortiz or Fielder, but his power should continue to develop and many of his 2Bs now will turn into HRs later (and he's hit a ton of 2Bs this year).

For comparison's sake, a few current ML 1B and how they performed at similar ages:

First, Snyder: 21 years old, A+, .302/.346/.480, 11 HR in 371 AB

Adrian Gonzalez: at 21, full season split between AA and AAA, line of .269/.328/.365 with just 5 HR in ~400 AB

Lyle Overbay: didn't get drafted until 21 and played in Rookie ball at 22...at 23, hit .342/.407/.515 but with a relatively modest 14 HRs in ~500 ABs between A and AA

James Loney: at 21, AA, hit .284/.357/.419 with 11 HR in ~500 AB

Mike Jacobs: at 21, A+, hit .251/.289/.381 with 11 HR in ~450 AB

Jason Giambi: drafted at 21 and played just 13 games that season in A-SS, then at 22 in A+ posted a .291/.425/.470 line with 12 HR in ~300 AB...also, followed that up with just 13 HR in ~550 AB between AA and AAA at 23 and 24

I'll stop there, but these examples show that Snyder is not necessarily behind the curve in terms of his development as a 1B offensively. He may not project to be an All-Star caliber player, but there's no reason to be disappointed in the least with his production right now.

In my dream world, we sign Tex, Brandon is moved to 3B at Bowie next year (in prep for taking over for Mora in '10), and Rowell repeats Frederick. If Rowell has a breakout year we'll have a nice problem to worry about. :clap3:
I think your plan for Snyder and Rowell is a very good one, regardless of whether we can sign Tex or not.

I dont think Snyder's power should be a concern rightnow some players just develop later than others and this guy still pretty young.

Remember Rafael Palmeiro the Cubs got rid of him because of his lack of power and look at the end.

I wonder how Palmeiro managed to start hitting home runs … have you forgotten about the steroids?:scratchchinhmm:

EDIT: We don't know when he started using them, IIRC.

Your overall premise is correct, though. I must defer to those who have seen Snyder play, but it's clearly a little early to say he won't develop decent major league power.

I wonder how Palmeiro managed to start hitting home runs … have you forgotten about the steroids?:scratchchinhmm:

EDIT: We don't know when he started using them, IIRC.

Your overall premise is correct, though. I must defer to those who have seen Snyder play, but it's clearly a little early to say he won't develop decent major league power.

Good point, but with or without steroid to hit a home run you have to hit it.

Noticed Snyder is playing 3B today. This is the first time I have noticed him at the hot corner. Does anyone think the O's are thinking of switching Rowell and Snyder since their sizes would probably be better suited for those positions?

I think a lot of us would like to see Snyder given given the chance at 3B. Especially since he and Rowell will be on different teams next year.

Archived